I need your honest opinion please

Shelldchick

Chirping
Jan 10, 2021
Long story short
I bought 22 chicks of various ages at a trade show and some were sick 7 days later, I lost 11 and sent specimens to A&M and resulted in 2 strains of mycoplasma. Medicated the lot and the rest survived, this was mid April. I still have one in quarantine and she will not get rid of the eye, swollen face, and runny nostril . Eats and drinks fine. Have given 3 rounds of 3 types of antibiotics to fight a secondary infection too over the last 3 months. Here she is and she talks to me and I have tried on several occasions to kill her but it’s those eyes that look at me and she’s healthy otherwise, please tell me what to do. I have exhausted all meds. Do I just destroy Emma?

Attachments

• IMG_3707.jpeg
    IMG_3707.jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3708.jpeg
    IMG_3708.jpeg
    624.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3709.jpeg
    IMG_3709.jpeg
    551.5 KB · Views: 21
Emma really does look very sweet. I hope that you can get some guidance as well to clear up her persistent respiratory issues. I think you feel that she is definitely worth saving. Have a vet address any remaining health issues asap, so that she can enjoy a happy pain-free life with you. Good wishes for Emma’s full recovery. ❤️

Last edited:
Long story short
I bought 22 chicks of various ages at a trade show and some were sick 7 days later, I lost 11 and sent specimens to A&M and resulted in 2 strains of mycoplasma. Medicated the lot and the rest survived, this was mid April. I still have one in quarantine and she will not get rid of the eye, swollen face, and runny nostril . Eats and drinks fine. Have given 3 rounds of 3 types of antibiotics to fight a secondary infection too over the last 3 months. Here she is and she talks to me and I have tried on several occasions to kill her but it’s those eyes that look at me and she’s healthy otherwise, please tell me what to do. I have exhausted all meds. Do I just destroy Emma?
What antibiotics have you given her?
Name of medication, doses and duration.

I'm sure you do this, but do you clean the gunk from her nostrils, any debris/pus buildup in the choanal slit?
Pressed out pus from the eyes?

Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) stays in a flock forever, surviving birds are carriers for life. There are various strains as you have found out, some worse than others. Any type of stress can bring out symptoms at any time.
Sick birds do not lay eggs. If they do lay eggs, the disease is passed through the eggs. Antibiotics treat symptoms, but not cure the disease. More powerful antibiotics will be needed due to bacterial resistance to the current antibiotics you're using. Then there are egg withdrawal periods to deal with.

If you decide to keep your birds, you must maintain a closed flock. No new birds in, no birds out to be given away nor sold. Do not give eggs away to be hatched. I recommend that you cull Emma.

I highly recommend that you cull your ALL your birds. Disinfect everything including brooders, inside the coop, nest boxes (if any) feeders and waterers (everything) etc...
Then repopulate with new chicks in about 3 months from a reputable hatchery.
Avoid trade shows, swap meets, flea markets, Craigslist, farmer down the road etc...

^^ This.

And I would wait even longer to make sure the environment will be clean from MG .

Start over with chicks next spring purchased all at the same time from the same source.

Back
Top Bottom