I need your opinion

toejam

Never enough birds
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
SW Ohio, Wilmington
Hi, I need everyones opinion for my question.

Should I take my peafowl to fair?

I am thinking of this because I really want to show off my peafowl, ecpecially my peacock. I am worried about diseases and ignorant people. But, I would get an automatic 1st place and show off my awsome peafowl.

If you say yes.... reply with yes and/or say how I should prepare them for fair.

If no, tell why I shouldnt

thanks, Justin

I took mine to Ag-Day at a local high school. He tore up his tail and did not strut at all, and I had to take my whole flock (the ones left behind were quite distressed). But, it was still fun, they were a hit with the kids and they did really well with all the activity. I guess I would do it again, I just wish he had shown them his stuff (yes, he had PLENTY of room, no roost and his harem). I am not tearing up his tail again next year, but maybe again in 2012.

I say yes if you can get a way to transport without damaging his tail and a big enough area at the fair to show him. Also maybe a little seperation from the chickens. What a wonderful way to introduce others to peafowl!!!

I say yes , if fair is not no late, most fairs are after they drop their train. Will be glad to help you with a crate to move him ,without damage to his train. Will need a large pen there to show him,6 ft tall.

Justin
I think it a bad ideal. Peafowl are not like chickens and can be flighty when scared and then you have diseases some are airborn from other birds in the fair so why take a chance of getting some type of disease or someone scared it and it breaks it neck flying up in the cage.

Let me state right off that I don't have peafowl, so keep that in mind. Having said that, I'd say it depends on your particular peacock and the facilities they'll have for it. We've shown meat birds (chickens) and it's LOUD back there and they had all fowl in the same general area. If he'll get upset or scared at loud noises (gates and doors slamming, children yelling, animals calling) then there's a good chance he'll stress out and get sick or hurt himself. If they can't guarantee you a big enough cage for him to be in then I'd also say no. The fair here locally has cages are just barely big enough for the animals, IMO, and I mean ALL of the animals. Our chickens were OK because they were only there a couple of days and we were up there constantly checking on them and taking them out for some stretching but there were turkeys that were in cages (bigger, but not big enough) that were going crazy between not being able to really walk around except in circles and the kids going by yelling and trying to touch them, etc.

Well, what I was going to to if I decided to do is to call the fairboard and see if I could use one of the old horse stalls in the poultry barn. (our poultry barn used to be a horse barn) All those are used for is so people can keep supplies in it. They all are never used. Would it be better if I put it on the rabbit side of the barn, farther from the chickens? Are there any saftey precautions like worming or anitbiotics I could use before fair to lessen the chance of getting diseases?

Back
Top Bottom