I Never Would Have Believed It!!

turningchicken

Songster
12 Years
Jun 8, 2010
If you have read any of my posts you know I had a blue silkie born 8 days ago with a lame leg. Tried to do what I could but decided I would let her learn to live with her handicap. She gets around with one leg...eats and drinks fine. Today I hatched a baby that i had to help out (peeped from the small end and could not make it out by itself) It has been weak all day so I finally took it out...gave it sugar water and put it in with my lame chick...my grandson named her Phil Better. She is 8 days old and being a mommy to this still not quite dry ..weak little chick. She is letting it stay under her and is being so gentle with it. I never would have believed it. I asked yesterday about putting the new ones with the week ols and was told to wait a few days. There is no way I would have put it with the others as they are so rowdy. But, what a heart warming sight this is!!
love.gif

That's so cute!!!
big_smile.png

The other day I was watching my almost 4 wk olds use their ramp for the first time. Three had walked up it into the coop but the brahma was left alone...apparently she wasn't paying attention when the other went up. So she's chirping away, can't figure out how to get to where the others are. The wyandotte baby flew back down out of the coop next to the brahma, and then WALKED up the ramp w/ the brahma behind her. It looked exactly like she was showing her how to do it. These girls are my first chickens and I'm in love already
love.gif

Last edited:
Awww congrat's.I hope they do well for ya.I have raised a couple of slightly handicap silkie's in the past and they were very resillient bird's.My newest silkie hen just hatched 7 egg's and she is 7 month's old her first clutch and 4 of the egg's weren't her's.I'm sure you will enjoy the chick's.Let Us know how it goes. Congrat's
yippiechickie.gif

Isn't it sweet!?
love.gif
I had one chick hatch out of shipped eggs and had to put her in with the week old chicks from the previous hatch. They kind of ignored her. Then my next hatch only one chick hatched, so I put the one chick back in with the newly hatched chick and right away she became that new chicks mom, letting the baby cuddle under her. I added a couple more chicks and now she (and it is a she) is 7 wks old and all the other chicks follow her around just like she is their mother! Aren't chickens wonderful!!
clap.gif
Good luck with your chicks!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom