I own one weird hen!

Equest94

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2007
New York
So.. we separated our hen from the roos to give her a break (until we can get some more hens). We were planning on keeping her in a large dog crate in the garage for now, but the garage is unusually cold for some reason and since she doesn't have a "cuddle buddy" to help keep warm...we decided to keep her in our mud room (we let her walk around there during the day, close her up in her cage at night).

Boy let me start off saying how one little tiny hen can make such a HUGE mess! Most of it is because she throws little fits when we closed the door to the mud room so she won'tt have access to the rest of the house...each time we leave her company she screams, throws a tantrum, shreds all the news paper and digs all the straw out of her cage. Yeah....precious little thing.

Anyways, I'm starting to think this little chicken doesn't see herself as a chicken anymore... she's more of an attack-lap dog...

I took a nap on our couch... someone left the mud room door open and sure enough, I wake up with a chicken cuddled in the nook of my knees... she was cuddle right against me, laying on her side all stretched out - I freaked out because I thought she was dead. I started petting her and she started cooing. she then crawled onto my lap and and I just petted her for a while... well, my dog got a bit jealous and came over to investigate... the hen started growling at my dog and then proceeded to strike and peck her in the nose sending my dog off in a whimpering state.

Back in the mud room... the hen was making it clear she was not happy... she was very cranky. Well, a carrier from Fed Ex came to the back door to drop off a package and the hen proceeded to attack him through the window of the door. She started screaming and flying against the window, striking at him with her feet.... I didn't get my package... (the guy seriously ran away before I could had time to snag the dog and get hold of the hen...)

Let's just say hopefully we can get the other hens soon...it's time to go back to the cop with this girl!

I wonder kind of of people the guy thinks we are - haha. "A bunch of hillbillies!"
big_smile.png

Here's the little Devil:
030908_1317.jpg

anyone else have some weird/interesting chicken stories?

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL! Probably.

Well surprising enough the same guy came back today to drop off the package (the original incident happened 2 days ago). So I met him and the back door...the hen was standing on top of her cage just eying him and he stood outside off to the side just peering in at her. He told me how she attacked him and how surprised and scared he was. Then he said: "That's one crazy devil bird you have there! They teach us how to deal with dogs...they don't say anything about chickens."

I cracked up laughing! It made my day.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom