I picked up my babies everyday and held them...

My Red Stars are six weeks old or so, and are not very cuddly, but my seven five week old RIR are super clingy and I am starting to worry about the fact that in July I have to go away for a couple of weeks. I never thought it would be hard to leave chickens or worry that they would miss you. Honestly, I got them for the eggs, and because I always wanted a few roaming the property and eating up ticks and slugs, but i never expected to be a RIR surrogate mother -- and I'm not sure I'm up to it. I already have two pets that are super clingy -- a German Shepherd and an Amazon parrot 0-- in fact, I think the parrot people really need to just get chickens instead. Just as friendly and a lot less expensive.

I noticed that mine didn't like to be touched when they had new feathers coming in. I had a pet cockatiel who was like that. The new feathers were really sensitive. Maybe they are getting adult feathers and aren't comfortable?

im sure if we grew feathers it would hurt
hmm.png

Mine are going through that now. I just sit in the pen with them and talk to them. I think its a stage in their development thats tough for them (if not me)and I'm going to help them through it. That way I'll be even closer to them when they leave that stage and become adults. (I know it sounds soppy but it is so true)
love.gif
I love my babies.

I think it's true something about there age.
When my son was a baby he was very clingy, a teenager way not clingy, and now also graduating from college in a week is just right!

I do sit in my pen and talk to them and sing.. or hum actually.

I put treats on my legs so they will get on top of them....
BUT HEY!!! No touching!!!!
smack.gif

I never use treats to increase the bond between me and my chickens. In my opinion, I want my chickens to come to me simply for affection, not for some form of "material gain" for themselves. If they choose not to come to me sometimes when I'm working with them, I just let them do their thing. They will come around sometime.
smile.png
If they don't have treats on their mind, they will always come back just to sit with me or be petted and snuggled. hehe

Don't feel bad we all go through it. Mine did the exact same thing at that age , actually about 3 and 1/2 weeks and all the way up to now at 7 1/2 weeks they are finally starting to become interested in me again and becoming friendly also. My americaunas have never been overly friendly and to the point of scaredy chickens but now they will actually come to me , do not want me to touch them but will sit very close or gently peck at my shoes or if I have a treat in my hand theywill eat from it. Just give it time and do not give up they will get better soon..
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

It might make you feel better to give them "not a treat" treats. Give them the same food that they have free access to, but it's a treat when it comes from you.

Back
Top Bottom