I raise blue slates Im having trouble getting the babies to eat. I am look for some other blue slates so i dont cross bred.

I raise blue slate turkeys, Im new to raising turkeys. I am having trouble with the babies not eating and dying. I would like to buy another blue slate hen and tom so i can vary the breeding and cross bred
:welcome

Post in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum if you want to buy more turkeys.

You will most likely have better luck finding something by posting locally such as on your local craigslist.

Turkeys have different instincts than do chickens. I find getting the new poults to eat very easy. Use a bedding such as paper towels or sand in the brooder. Poults will naturally pick at things on the ground.

I use sand for bedding simply because I live on a sand dune and the sand is free for the digging. I sprinkle 28% protein turkey or game bird starter on the sand. My poults are usually finding and eating the scattered starter within minutes of them being put in the brooder.

It can take them several days before they realize the stuff in the feeder is food. I keep feed scattered on the sand until I start seeing the poults eating from the feeder.

Back
Top Bottom