I really have to say....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Becky_H, May 11, 2009.

1. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought all the hoopla about Buff Orphingtons being wonderfully sweet, docile birds was probably at *best* an overstatement. I picked up a 3 month old roo from PamperedPoultry (a bycer) today and he is seriously the *nicest* bird. We've only been home with him about half an hour, and he's stretched out on the desk beside me, basking in the air conditioner and chatting at the cats. He also really loves perching on my wrist while I type (I dunno).

I know the biggest challenges with his behaviour are still to come, along with hormones, but he's seriously the most puppy-like chicken I've *ever* encountered. Not that that's saying much, but. He really is a *sweet*, affectionate and personable bird. I am IMPRESSED and very much liking this bird.

(As well as the OEGB, bantam cochins, and pair of D'uccles I also got today. Still. I think I like this one MOST. His personality's just incredible.)

2. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    I'm so glad to read that. I just adopted 4 1yr old buff orpingtons to keep my 1 rhode island Red company. so far so good but I keep waiting for trouble

3. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    That's so SWEET! I had a little Bantam Roo years ago who would hang out on my desk... wonderful bird!

4. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have to admit that I find it ironic that the *only* standard bird I picked up today is the one that wants to sit on me and sprawl on the desk. Also, he's a 3 month old roo, but he's done nothing but peep at me since we got home. It's ADORABLE.

5. rhondapiper

rhondapiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Out of my 7 new chicks, my buff orps are the most flighty and least people-friendly, but they're only a week old. I hope they mellow out and get as friendly as your new roo.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  6. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I can't say enough good things about my BOs. Thanks to Buff Hooligan for steering me in the right direction. My girls are sweet, calm and very attentive - even with the kids.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Wait until you get your hands on a black australorp! We've got 1 2-month-old and a 2-week-old and they are nice nice nice birds. Our little buff is a sweetie, too. Can't wait until she starts laying, and gets even sweeter!

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Our Buffs are very layed back as well, the more you work with them the calmer they will be.

Steve in NC

9. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    This is so good to hear! I've got 8 or so Buff Orps in the bator that have live chicks in them. On day 18 today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by