I really need some advice

unbaked pegga

Songster
9 Years
Nov 22, 2014
Lebanon TN
I posted here several months ago because a raccoon got into my coop and killed all but 2 of my hens. And of the 2 left I was afraid one of them would not survive. I posted pictures here and most everyone agreed that she didn’t look like she would survive. But I nursed her and fed her and tried to take care of her as best I could, and she actually responded and became her old self. That was until last night. When I went to let the two that I had left into the chicken coop, she was walking really slow, spread legged like she did when the raccoon attacked her- real close to the ground. She could only get up to the 2nd rung on the roost. Her comb is blue tinged. She has a good appetite, but since that raccoon attacked those chickens, she has not laid one single egg, and she is a sex link and she normally laid every day but since that incident happened, she hasn’t laid an egg at all, except a soft shell egg about 2 weeks after the attack and I thought maybe it was from either the shock of that raccoon attacking her or it injured her in someway. But now I don’t know what’s wrong I thought about her being egg bound bound.. My problem is that I don’t have anyone to help me check her and I’m no spring chicken I’m 77 but still I tried to give her some calcium this morning ((I crushed up some tums and mashed it into some small pieces bologna) she got a only a little bit, but not much, and she wouldn’t touch any that even had a hint of white on it but then she went directly under the porch, which is where they stay most all of the time and laid right down, and would not come to me, even when tried to I entice her with baloney , so I’m even afraid to go out there now and check her. It’s been several hours but I don’t know quite what to do. I have spent thousands of dollars at the vet with my chickens and I just don’t have the $ anymore and they don’t seem to know anymore than I do . I don’t know what’s going on I really don’t. I don’t know how she could go that long without laying an egg and then suddenly start laying eggs. Does anybody possibly have a clue of what could be going on with her without actually seeing her? She’s my favorite little chick and she’s been through so much , I appreciate any help. Plus that would leave the other chicken by herself. And I don’t think they can live by theirselves can they?

I am so sorry you're going through this! I know what's like when a beloved pet is suffering and you are helpless to do anything about it. I find it IS tempting to stay indoors and just let nature take its course sometimes. As bad as that sounds, I'll bet I'm not the only one who feels this way. :hugs

If you can get ahold of her again, try putting a tums directly into her mouth. Sit with her on your lap, with her body wedged between your body and your arm. Or wrap her in a towel so you can control her. Pull down on her wattles to force her mouth open and pop it right in there. She will swallow. Remember, chickens can eat a mouse, whole. If you can't get to her today, get her off the roost after dark. They can't see in the dark and won't run away.

I don't know what to suggest is wrong with her, could be a number of things. But tums won't hurt one bit and might help.

If she passes, the other chicken can live by herself, but she will of course be lonely. She'll also be doubly vulnerable to predator attack. Can you look into getting a few more chickens?

Try calcium citrate instead of tums if you have it. Its possible she was internally injured and managed to rally for a while and is no longer able to. The blue comb suggests she's not getting enough oxygen in her blood. I know you want to save her but sometimes there's nothing else we can do. Hopefully someone else has better advice.

I am so sorry you're going through this! I know what's like when a beloved pet is suffering and you are helpless to do anything about it. I find it IS tempting to stay indoors and just let nature take its course sometimes. As bad as that sounds, I'll bet I'm not the only one who feels this way. :hugs

If you can get ahold of her again, try putting a tums directly into her mouth. Sit with her on your lap, with her body wedged between your body and your arm. Or wrap her in a towel so you can control her. Pull down on her wattles to force her mouth open and pop it right in there. She will swallow. Remember, chickens can eat a mouse, whole. If you can't get to her today, get her off the roost after dark. They can't see in the dark and won't run away.

I don't know what to suggest is wrong with her, could be a number of things. But tums won't hurt one bit and might help.

If she passes, the other chicken can live by herself, but she will of course be lonely. She'll also be doubly vulnerable to predator attack. Can you look into getting a few more chickens?
I was able to catch her last night, and I gave her a whole tums. She couldn’t get up on the roost and I put her on the top roost myself. This morning she was in the floor of the coop, and when she went to come out. She just flopped on the floor. So she finally come down as far as the run, and now she’s just laying here in the sand not laying on her side just laying there like she normally does. I got her to eat a little bit of lettuce, but then she just went back and laid down. The swelling seems to be a little bit further back than her legs because it looks like her fur is hitting the ground. I’m going to send a picture I just took of her and if anybody could give me any advice, I just don’t know these little animals are all I have and it just devastated me when I lose one plus the other one will be by herself.

Attachments

• 2EEF6B91-8694-474B-8C6D-1AFA777BF535.jpeg
    2EEF6B91-8694-474B-8C6D-1AFA777BF535.jpeg
    770.9 KB · Views: 5
With her posture sitting upright with her tail down, that is common to see in pictures of hens with serious reporductive problems. You could insert a clean finger into her vent to feel for a stuck egg. I would guess that her insides or oviduct were injured which caused her to stop laying. Did she molt right after the attack? My hen who was injured by a dog, molted right away. She had laid every day prior, but didn’t lay for 4 months. Then when she resumed laying, she laid only shell-less or thin shelled eggs. She died by the age of 3 of egg yolk peritonitis and had water belly.

I would try some antibiotics such as amoxicillin to try and extend her life. But if she is not eating or drinking later, or suffering, I would put her down. I don’t think she will get better, but I’m not a vet. I recently lost the last of my original flock. She lived a year by herself after a daytime bobcat attack killed 3, and did okay without the other chickens. She was a bit of a loner anyway. I tried to visit the coop more often to make sure that she had some company.

It appears to be the typical eggbound stance of a hen that needs to lay an egg.
Put her in a container of warm water up to her sides.
The warm water will relax and expand her innards. While she is soaking in the warm water, place your hand in the water underneath her while she is soaking.
Then start gently and slowly massaging her underside front to rear, do this for about 20 minutes. The massaging will help move the stuck egg along and encourage her to lay the egg.
Once 20 minutes is up, wear a disposable glove and put a little olive oil or vegetable oil just inside her vent. It will help her lay the egg more easily. Repeat this procedure as necessary. Please let us know how it turns out for you.

With her posture sitting upright with her tail down, that is common to see in pictures of hens with serious reporductive problems. You could insert a clean finger into her vent to feel for a stuck egg. I would guess that her insides or oviduct were injured which caused her to stop laying. Did she molt right after the attack? My hen who was injured by a dog, molted right away. She had laid every day prior, but didn’t lay for 4 months. Then when she resumed laying, she laid only shell-less or thin shelled eggs. She died by the age of 3 of egg yolk peritonitis and had water belly.

I would try some antibiotics such as amoxicillin to try and extend her life. But if she is not eating or drinking later, or suffering, I would put her down. I don’t think she will get better, but I’m not a vet. I recently lost the last of my original flock. She lived a year by herself after a daytime bobcat attack killed 3, and did okay without the other chickens. She was a bit of a loner anyway. I tried to visit the coop more often to make sure that she had some company.
Oh thank you for taking the time to answer my post. As a matter of fact, she did start molting immediately after she recovered from that raccoon attack. She also laid every single day but hasn’t since she recovered. About a month ago she laid a shellless egg and a thin shelled egg, but no more. I got 2 Tums down her this morning hoping she can expel what ever she has. I had to put her on the roost last night and got her out of the coop this morning and took her to a shady spot in the yard. I got her to drink a little water but no food. She is still just sitting right where I laid her. But she has been talking to me constantly and I noticed her tail is up but she is still laying down. Hope springs eternal mama always said but this may very well be a lost cause😔
It appears to be the typical eggbound stance of a hen that needs to lay an egg.
Put her in a container of warm water up to her sides.
The warm water will relax and expand her innards. While she is soaking in the warm water, place your hand in the water underneath her while she is soaking.
Then start gently and slowly massaging her underside front to rear, do this for about 20 minutes. The massaging will help move the stuck egg along and encourage her to lay the egg.
Once 20 minutes is up, wear a disposable glove and put a little olive oil or vegetable oil just inside her vent. It will help her lay the egg more easily. Repeat this procedure as necessary. Please let us know how it turns out for you.
I read I believe it was here at BYC to not inset anything in her because it could break the egg that is stuck and the shell could cut her so I don’t know if the 2 Tums I gave her will help. She will have to drink some water for the tums to be able to work and I know she must be dehydrated. I always overthink problems

Were you able to give her an Epsom salt bath? What about calcium citrate. I also agree about the amoxicillin, it could help. My girl was sick for a week about three months apart, but then got better. I fed her raw yolk, black soldier larvae and nutri drench. The first time she was sick I gave her amoxicillin. I really thought she was going to die, she looked very droopy, and had labored breathing.

She's not laying, but is foraging like a champ, her poops look good.

Back
Top Bottom