I really need some fast advice on this stuff!

I leave 1 plug out thru the entire incubation process & hatch. You can get a very cheap hygrometer (humidity monitor) from Wal-Mart for less than $5. It will give you an approximate humidity level, which is all I ever worry about. Humidity does NOT have to be exact, just close to your desired average most of the time. I tend to do what is called a "dry hatch" which means you do not add water until lockdown & even then only if absolutely necessary. Humidity will automatically spike drastically when the 1st baby begins to hatch so usually no water is needed as long as you leave the bator closed during hatch. If humidity goes to at least 50% when the 1st baby pips you don't need to add water. A lot of people use a straw & syringe thru the open vent hole to add water during lockdown.

My goodness, this is a lot to take in!
th.gif
Is there a certain amount of time the chicks should stay in the incubator after hatching, or is it just until they are fluffy?

As long as you still have babies hatching leave them in unless you have really late hatchers & the 1st baby has been hatched close to 48 hours. If your babies are fluffed & dry & none of the other eggs is pipped (hole broken thru the shell) you can reach in quickly & pull the fluffed babies out. Just make sure you only open the lid as far as absolutely necessary & close as quickly as possible to avoid losing too much humidity. If humidity drops too much, it can be regained instantly by misting the lid of the bator with hot water from a spray bottle. Do not spray the eggs directly as you can cause unhatched babies to drown in the shell. You are welcome to PM me any time if you need quick help or have questions as you go along. Just this year alone I've hatched out over 500 babies counting chicks, ducks, turkeys & quail. I currently have 2 bators running with chicks, ducks & guineas in them & run 4-5 bators thru the summer.

If you have a still air incubator, you need a little higher temperature at about 101. Where I live in an arid area I cannot do a dry hatch (mine would be 16%), so I keep between 45 and 50 for incubation, then up it for the hatch. Right now I have a few silkie eggs "left over" from my broodies and to my surprise one pipped and zipped in about 15 minutes from when I turned them. It couldn't get out as humidity was 45%, so I upped it and then had to help the dry membrane from around the zip...it promptly pushed out a few minutes later. Good Luck!

I got my incubator today! WooHoo! :woot  I got the Model 9200 Still Air Incubator. The only thing I don't understand that it did not adress in the directions is the humidity and the air circulation. How can I regulate the humidity in the incubator if I can't tell just how humid it really is? It also says I have to unplug one of the air holes to allow air exchange. Do I open it from day one or is there a specific time I should open it?

I have the still air incubator model 2100 it's kind of like yours. However I can only help in a small way. If you haven't already gotten a thermometer, you need to (not glass). You just keep it in the incubator and it should read the temperature correctly. Now the humidity I'm not so sure about, the still air incubator model 2100 has an installed humidity gauge that reads accurately. And it comes with a hand held thermometer. I do know you can bring the humidity up by pouring a small amount of WARM water in the bottom of the incubator.

I hope this helped somehow, I think you should probably return your model for the model 2100, I did, and they are the same price, plus I could tell you everything about it, but it's completely up to you, I hoped this helpled! :)

Last edited:
I actually have both models, plus another of an off brand. All run about the same. The styrofoam bators tend to all be pretty much the same. Individual adjustments need to be made for every bator individually for each hatch. The number of eggs in them can even affect the temps & air flow so you just get everything as close to the average as you can & go from there.

Well, I'm expecting the eggs any day now. I think I've learned about as much as I can. I'll post some pictures when I get them!
big_smile.png

Best of luck w/ your hatch, and be sure to update all these good folks that took the time to give ya such great input (I've been followin' this thread, but keepin' my keyboard unusually quiet, as this ain't my area of expertise ~'-)

I'm going to have to start closing my door. My moronic cat jumped up on the incubator today and almost knocked it over trying to get off when she stepped on one of the hot screws, but the eggs are still fine. I've been setting my alarm and getting up to turn the eggs the required three times a day.

Back
Top Bottom