I rescued a chicken!

Thanks everyone! Things are going smooth so far. Ive taken all advice whole heartedly and cant wait to see her at best health. I know this might sound strange, but can you tell me if you can tell how healthy a chicken is by the look at their poop? LOL. I never thought I would be writing these words. What an adventure. It was strangely cold and rainy today here in FL but she seemed to like it and spent all day outside. She had plenty of options....a huge pole barn, her coop, market table umbrella, but Im happy she did cause she is a little less "filthy." I am totally impressed that the comes when we call her "chick chick." One odd thing is she is always trying to get in the van when we load all the kids in. Luckily she doesnt try or has figured out to follow us out the gated drive. She really likes the organic shelled sunflower seeds I had bought for our salads....lol. She also likes the grainy/seedy whole wheat bread that gets left over, though Im not sure bread is really nutritious for her. Otherwise, she loves organic apples, has now interest in cabbage, has eaten many of my herbs I was growing ( mint hybrids particularly, ug) likes organic yogurt (great fun to watch).

Im having a great time diggin around the site....lots of interesting stories, by a lot of neat people!

Thanks again,

Em
You can get SOME idea how healthy they are by the poop. It should be a brownish color with a nice white cap on the top. It should be firm, not too wet, and come out in a ball. (is this too much information?
lol.png
) Now sometimes they eat things that will color the poop or cause it to be runny or thin. But in general, this is how it should be. So when it doesn't look like this, then there could be a problem. Here is a nice "poop chart" you can take a look at as to what is good and what is not good in poop....

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/?topic=17568.0

Enjoy!

LOL! The 'ole poop chart! What a welcome to BYC!! Mine do know there names and come when I call. Hope you can find her a friend. They do better with friends. Is there a roost in your coop? They roost at night. Maybe that's why she's not staying in the coop. Good luck and welcome!

I thought I could handle that....ug.....not so much. Will be skipping lunch today...lol. But on a happy note, her poop is looking better by the day. I just wish she didnt deposit it on the pavement.

Thanks for the chart ;)

I had to look up what a roost is. If you mean a faux nest I made out of pine straw then yes. I also put a little big of cardboard down. She pooped on it. Should I make a better roost?

A roost is something for her to perch on. It could be a stick, limb, etc. Just something for her to sleep on. Heck, some of mine even skip the entire coop and sleep in the trees!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom