I scared NOT to lock the coop door each night....

With the size of that rooster, I think your girls are safe!!
lau.gif

Quote:
Well if the chickens are INSIDE the coop at night, they won't BE in the run for the raccoon to grab them. Mr Raccoon will still be several feet away from the coop door, and assume that the chickens are even further up on the roost.....

I personally think the run is secure enough IF the chickens are actually roosting in the enclosed in the coop away from the sides of the run at night.

how about a compromise and add a pop door that's very secure, but made of hardware cloth/framing?

Quote:
Best idea if you are concerned about heat at night. I would keep your chickens locked in. The first or second time you don't a racoon will probably "get" them and it will not be a pretty site. They are VERY adept at getting inside of fencing or pulling parts through.

I thought I had killed every racoon and possum around (am in the city limits)) but last week one killed 10 of my young chickens the second night they were in a 4 ft. high dog pen next to my front door. I KNEW better...was only temporary and because it was so hot. Should have kept them in.
hit.gif

If you have plenty of ventilation along the top of the walls of the coop itself (can't tell from the pics), they'll be fine locked in. I'd never leave a door open at night. You may think it's secure, but you don't have the mind or the skills of a raccoon and better safe than sorry. A smart, determined predator who has all night long to work at it may find a chink in your armor.

As long as you can keep your husband armed with a ball bat locked in that run, you'll have no problem with snakes, raccooons, foxes, etc. If he should happen to get out though, make him go to Home Depot to buy 1/2-inch hardware cloth for the entire run. Then use the fencing that's on it now for a large daytime enclosure.

Thanks everyone for the advice and laughs! Although I think he is going to make me a "summer" door, one that has a wire panel for a cross breeze. I am locking the door dang it!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom