I seriously need some coop advice......

I like your coop and believe it is worth the effort to repair/rebuild it to original glory....housing chickens. How about dismantling one side ( rebuilding it later....an open side would help with ventilation and removing debris. After shoveling/sweeping what you can....the HOT steam cleaner sounds like the trick and despite what you read, I would use bleach....TSP.....let it dry and spray the interior with good white house paint...
Happy Hatch'en

Quote:
BTW, I'd put bleach in the steam water.

Edit: Also, I would not go overboard removing old wood. If you can put insulation styrofoam on top of it and cheap paneling over that, what more would you need.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I just want to thank you for all your well thought out responses!! I really do appreciate them. My hubby and I pretty much decided to clean the coop out and get it looking nice, but not use it for the chickens. I think my husband is just so worried about someone getting sick. But, after reading your responses and suggestions we are going to re-consider the issue. I agree with a lot of what you all are saying!

Again, thank you. I knew you all would have some great advice. I will let you know how things end up turning out!

Julie

I'm with patandchickens on this one.

I would think that as long as you clean the coon poop out,place some plywood over the floor &/or ceiling (wherever the poop was found), you'd probably be fine. It wouldn't be as if the chicks/ kids were in direct contact with any coon poop deposits. Worms are passed through direct contact with contaminated surfaces or the feces itself. So, if those areas were covered with new pkywood, I'd think all should be fine. Good luck.

They are all right--it would be such a loss not to use the coop for chickens, It's such a neato structure!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom