I stepped on an egg! WAAAHH!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DianeS, Jan 14, 2011.

1. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I didn't even know it until a few paces later when all the chickens converged on the nice fresh egg yolk in their run - an unexpected treat for them! But boo for me.

Oh well, on the good side it means I have another new layer. She just needs some time to figure out where she's *supposed* to be laying. Until then I'll watch my step better - brown eggs in leaf litter don't show up very well.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sorry about the egg, but... [​IMG]

Imp

3. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

and?

Its not like you steped on a chick and killed it.....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Congrats, Lucky it wasnt a rotten egg!

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    This goes along with the thread about leaning against the counter with a pocket full of eggs, lol...

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I wouldn't let them eat it if at all possible. Shoo them away. It might give them the idea that their own eggs are yummy.

IMO (and take it FWIW), ANYTHING that might encourage egg eating should be discouraged. Once they get started on that habit, it can be hopeless to stop them.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You didn't feel it??

My son stepped on a button quail egg one day (one that I'd just taken out of the cage and set on the floor while I was feeding [​IMG]) and I heard that little sucker POP!

I almost stepped on a duck egg in the yard yesterday, I just thought it was a chunk of ice. Granted, with as much tugging as it took to get it free from the ground, it probably wasn't much more than a chunk of ice, but still [​IMG]

8. UrbanGrower

UrbanGrower Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    West Jordan, UT
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

This goes along with the thread about leaning against the counter with a pocket full of eggs, lol...

I have a pocket full of eggs everyday and I haven't done that yet, fortunately.​

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I have a pocket full of eggs everyday and I haven't done that yet, fortunately.

My son likes to help me gather eggs. One day, we got an egg from one of my breeders (d'uccle or bantam cochin, can't remember). I told him to let me hold it so it wouldn't get broke then proceeded to do exactly that. [​IMG] And I was supposed to be the one keeping it safe [​IMG]

10. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:They didn't eat it when it was whole. Only when the shell was smashed beyond recognition and the wet yolk and white were laying on the leaves, so I'm not worried about them figuring out where yolks come from. Mine get raw eggs, scrambled eggs, crunched eggshells, etc. So raw egg on leaves instead of in their bowl wasn't too different for them.

Quote:No, it was pretty soft-shelled, it didn't feel any different than the leaves. It was possibly a new layer's first egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by