I still love my chickens, but I am not addictive (help)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Omran, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Hello, how are you folks doing tonight?
    I hope all of you are happy and healthy. Lately I noticed that I am not sitting or spending a lot of time with my chickens, or even on Backyard chickens, what is wrong with me? is that because I have chicken for 2 years now? or is it the weather? I need serious help here [​IMG] ! and I like to hear some suggestions from you folks to get me back (HIGH) I mean chicken crazy [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Is it the time of year? If I didn't have one who likes to come out in the dark, I'd rarely see them, except when feeding.

I got to admit that I'm not addicted to them either. I like them, like the eggs, but they are more easy care yard art pets.

Imp

3. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    First of all [​IMG] . I think you might be suffering from a case of winterchickenitis otherwise know as the winter chicken blues. You probably got a little burned out on chicken tv and byc and you needed a well deserved break to recoup and be back in full swing once you catch spring fever. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  4. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Well thank you that is very sweet from you [​IMG]

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

order some chicks. That usually works!

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think a dose of sunshine in our area would go FAR in curing your chicken blues. My girls are the only thing encouraging me to get out there day after day during these grey, drizzly days. But we're still honeymooning, so they still inspire me. Seriously though, where is the sun???

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    My dad put it perfectly the first year I had chickens: "Chickens are a lot of fun in the spring and summer, but they're quite a chore in the wintertime." I don't enjoy trudging out there in the freezing cold to slave over chickens that refuse to lay eggs. Nor am I allowing myself to hatch anything until it gets a bit warmer.

I always love my chickens, but I enjoy them more in nicer weather.

8. ljf24

ljf24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    TN
    The same thing happened to me late last year. I've got a few ideas that might help.

1. Hatch some new chicks off. Nothing's more exciting than those last three days of incubation.

2. Upgrade your coop. I've done this several times, and its helped.

3. Increase your flock.

4. Add to your farm collection. (geese, ducks, quail, pheasants, turkey)

Hope this helps!

9. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have to agree, it's not much fun getting up when it's 20* and going out with hot water and a hammer to break the ice. But as soon as the extreme winter weather 'broke' for a few days --I started to enjoy going out and talking with the girls.. I am not addicted as some but if my girls were 'lap' chickens I would be in 'hog-heaven..

10. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    well today the girls are outside playing, before the weather get bad again, they seem very happy to eat all the grass they can find. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by