I suppose these are odd behaviors

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ThePRfan, Dec 28, 2014.

1. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    I've raised lil red since she was a chick.Yes,we made odd connections,and she does seem to care for me lots.
    She cleans me,roosts with me,and so on.Never noticed her attempting broodiness,but this behavior,I think is showing signs.
    From my experiences,hens don't make turkey sounds.Well,I or anyone else was wrong.Lil Red follows me around,and/or I follow her.
    Today on our way to the coop,she cut in front of me and started making turkey sounds at me,(Umm weird X2).
    I'm curious as if this is abnormal behavior?and she's molting.

Well,Cinnamon,and Buffy have been making aggression sounds at me,(I think).I think they just have deeper speaking voices,then my others,I swear i'm being growled at.
    Buffy mainly does it,(then I know she hates being picked up),but she growls as I place her down.When she was younger she acted as if she was a rooster.
    Cinnamon never comes at me,she follows me,never did anything that was suspicious.I do talk chicken often.I peep out when ever I find treats,(yes,i'm a nut),but it's the fact,MY HENS ARE sounding aggressive.
    Mrs.Prissy rarely does this to me,but I think their just saying "Hi!" it's just in a more deeper voice.
    What's the deal?

My NHR's make pegion sounds.Ever since they were chicks,they were doing it.Beautiful voices,but often do it when showing dominance,but every so often she would talk to me with her Pegions voice.On accident she has scratched/kicked me,when I blocked her attack from killing nother hen (Practicially).
    Is this a odd voicing?I know it's not unusual for NHR's to have aggression towards other hens,(it's breed thing)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The aggression may be trying to show that she is dominant over the flock -- which includes you. It's not that odd for a pet chicken to eventually show aggression in an attempt to show he or she is the dominant bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by