I think a fox did it!!!

Youknowmyname57

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 25, 2013
I have (well, HAD) 4 guineas that are cooped up at night and free range during the day. They always stay close to the house. Yesterday I had to run an errand and when I got out of the car I noticed the guineas were squawking up a storm, which isn't unusual. They were in the overgrown field that borders my property, flying straight up and down--leaping 10 feet in the air. I'm guessing they weren't flying because the weeds are so thick there. Anyways, I just caught a glance of a reddish muzzle snapping as it jumped up at the guineas--just a split second and for some reason my mind said "dachshund". I ran yelling towards the guineas and they came running out of the weeds and into the coop--but only three of them. One of my 2 bachelor brothers that I had raised from keets was nowhere to be found. I walked around the field and saw a pile of guinea feathers--no blood, nothing but that sad scattering of feathers. They were several yards away from where the guineas and that predator were jumping. I'm guessing he was already dead and the fox (?) was trying to kill the others too, Now my birds are all securely cooped up, which I hate; I so loved having them all wandering around my house, squawking and clucking for bread, greeting me when I came home. Looks like that's over now. I know that having the field so overgrown encourages predators but since it isn't mine I can't bush hog it. I also do not own anything except a BB gun and I don't expect to see the thing again. I've lived here 27 years and this is the first predator I've ever seen on my land. I was thinking about getting a humane trap and hopefully catching the fox and relocating it, but if I do catch one will others be lined up for a free chicken or guinea dinner? Thanks!!

So sorry for your loss. To answer your question....Yes. Unfortunately there will be other predators and this one will surely be back. It's like somehow they spread the word....easy dinner here. Do you know who owns the overgrown field? I ask because my Dad's property boarders kinda the same thing. My Dad keeps his lawn immaculate but started having all kinds of "wildlife" coming in his yard. My parents lost a dear Poodle to a coyote. He contacted the owner and they came to an agreement. My Dad now pays a fellow to come bush hog once a month. It was just a way to solve my Dads problems because the land owner just really didn't care.

It is possible, just one bushing hogging will scare off some predators too. I had my land bush hogged early this summer. My dogs got to run in places they had not in years. Late that same evening, we were all out walking the fence line. We saw something reddish...fox looking running outside the fence. Sure enough....the next morning, I had 2 dogs dig under the fence and discover a den. When I came a running...I got a glimpse of something reddish again. My dogs did not catch it, but it fled. We have not seen it since...thank goodness! I did fix the hole they dug, but they have not forgotten where that den is. They keep a close eye on it.....:eek:)

Thanks for replying Naunnie. Someone from NYC owns the field and although he used to arrange to have it bush hogged every summer he hasn't bothered in a few years. I always get my pasture mowed but I can't just have someone do his. :( Wish I could! My birds all have a good sized pen that they can wander, including a 'jungle' part that they love. I kept them in there all day yesterday and though the chickens didn't mind the guineas started their pacing. This morning when I went down they followed me to the gate and so wanted to go out. Maybe I can let them out when I'm right there--hopefully no predator will be so brazen to come take one with me and my two little dogs right there.

Very sorry for your loss. Its never easy to lose one to a predator. Unfortunately they will come back - they are crafty little creatures. I have never had one come around my flock when im out but I also have dogs who keep them at bay. I have talked with a few people who have had predators come up during the day while they were out with the animals - some are used to humans & will just stay outside the fence line. Best of luck

Thanks Brenda. Is there any point to trapping the fox? I have never seen an predator around here in all the years I've lived here and I'm hoping this was a lone fox passing through. I do not want to lose another bird--losing my beloved silkie roo or any of my chickens would break my heart. My dogs are just little ones (a sheltie and one half her size) and I'm afraid the fox would want to eat the little one too.

Found this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/red-fox-chicken-predators-how-to-protect-your-chickens-from-foxes. It is about chickens, but I think it applies to Guineas as well.

Your post really got me to thinking and researching. I found this bit of information too: http://icwdm.org/handbook/carnivor/foxes.asp.

Checking with your local Game Warden or the state wildlife agency may be a good place to start. From what I have read, trapping and removing is an option, but needs to be done very carefully. We have all heard how sly... fox can be.

I would worry about the 2 little pups too. I would encourage them to "stay" and watch it". They probably already know a "booger" is out there. Because I live with a lot of dogs....I just have to say, it might be time to consider adding a bigger, larger, family member.
lol.png

Last edited:
I just made a bunch of calls and it seems that unless the fox has bitten a pet or person the county can't do anything. They did say I could pay a professional pest remover and hope for the best but if the fox can even be trapped will it just be replaced by another predator?

Did you know that my hen got attacked(supposedly) by some animal? She randomly started losing feathers and when I went into her pen with her she would freak out. It was weird.

Last edited:
Yeah...afraid so. There are all kinds of poultry killers out there. Raccoon and Coyotes are big trouble here. You have been fortunate.... this was the first time. All we can do is try and stay a step ahead of the predators.

Back
Top Bottom