I think a hen is internally laying?

AmyJ

Songster
14 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Wallkill, NY
She hasn't layed an egg in awhile, but I thought she was molting. Now I am sure it is something else. I found her this evening just lethargic outside. The last few days have been very hot, in the mid 90's, but today was nice. The hen is over a year old, she is a red sex link. When I picked her up she really does not have that much wieght on her, but her abdomen is very big and bulging, she has lost quite a few feathers also. Her comb is also purplish at the tips. No other symptoms other than she is not eating and her crop is empty. She just takes water. But she was running around fine all day, until I noticed her this evening. I'm thinking it is internal laying from what I have read on here, but I am not sure. Just looking for others experience with this, thanks.

Amy

Last edited:
Just an update, she seemed to be doing better yesterday, was running around outside, foraging, doing normal chicken stuff. She was on the roost last night, as it was getting dark and seemed pretty well. I found her on the floor of the coop this morning when I went to let them out. She did not make it and must have passed sometime during the night, or early this morning. I still am thinking that internal laying was her problem. I guess theres not much to do when they have this....

Very sorry to hear it.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom