I think a squirrel killed one of my chickens last night.

Quote:
How do I catch the snake? We find a 5 foot skin every year so its a big one...
hmm.png

We have only seen the snake 3 times in 8 years.

Last edited:
About the only way I know to catch it is since they are nocturnal by nature, visit the coop several times at night and maybe leave eggs to entice the snake, eventually you will run in to it especialy if the eggs are disappearing it will return for more but they dont eat often. Maybe there is some sort of snake trap I am not aware of.

Last edited:
I would agree about the snake. Squirrels just aren't that vindictive, plus, I'm not aware of anything that would take any crap from a squirrel
wink.png
Do your best to catch the snake. Could he be living under you house or a deck, possibly under the coop even? Try every ave. to find him - Good luck!

Quote:
Last time I saw him on the ground he was scared and immediately climbed up into a tree. I think he lives in the tree. I always find the snake skins under one specific tree... Let me see if I can post a pic of the snake. I got one a coupla years back.

Buy several large rat traps, not the small mouse traps. Place these in box large enough for a small critter cage, and them to go around. cut one hole in the box for the snake to crawl in through. It will be attracted by the scent of the mouse in the critter cage. While it is trying to figure a way to the mouse it will trip one or more rat trap. Now it may not kill the snake depending on how big it is, but it may be enough to trap it in the box.

There is a better trap I have seen that uses a spike at the hole, and it will kill the snake defiantly. You might search for the plans on the internet.

Also electric fence will kill a snake if you can find a way to wire around a critter cage.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice on this thread! Yep, I'm in agreement on the snake theory... because of the matted and wet head and neck feathers. Very logical.
In the end, when they're all grown up, the snake won't bother them at all. In fact, if this meal was too large for him, he might not even try again. When they start laying, he may occasionally steal eggs, and if that becomes a problem you might want to terminate him. But he will keep down the mice! I like having a rat snake around.
(And don't feel at all guilty. We have all built cages and coops to the best of our ability, and discovered they could be breached in an unpredictable way. My roo lost a wing when he was 4 weeks old. I thought he'd be safe in his wire enclosure, but he chose to sleep right up against the bars where a raccoon could grab him, instead of in the cozy box I provided. It took me a LONG time to forgive myself, but in all reality there's little I could have done. I got home from work after dark. That's all it took.
sad.png
)
Hugs to you!
hugs.gif
Hope all the rest are safe!

I agree with keeping the snake around. The rat snake will greatly help with your rodent population and one that big has taken years to get that way! They are beautiful and mostly harmless and a positive part of nature. If it were me (and I am a snake lover, and I know not everyone is), I would snake-proof the coop and run and try to live in harmony with him. He was just being himself if he tried to eat your pullet. It is sad to lose a chicken, but in my opinion, there is no need to kill the snake. You're right! He's your friend!

Thanks Yall! I dont want to kill the snake, I actually have a lot of respect for him.....

That makes sense that he may not try again since his first attempt was unsuccessful.

I got more poultry netting and will attach it this evening to every spot on the kennel that is not already covered in case it was a raccoon that stuck his hand in there and choked the chicken.

Silly me! I imagined this crazy pixar squirrel using his little paws to strangle my precious hen!! Too much!
lol.png

Thanks again for all the help with this. I had no idea I would love these chickens so very much!!!

Back
Top Bottom