I think all chicken owners should.......

For us it was a learning experience. We have never allowed free ranging chickens (or turkeys, geese or ducks for that matter) because
we have so many predators in this "way out in the middle of nowhere" area. So we built huge, huge runs for the girlies and then proceeded to lose chickens due to digging, climbing and jumping predators. Even now, I believe the only reason we've stopped the losses is our big bad, guard geese. But we have some pretty secure, buried and high fences.

Another one here for the free-ranging management style
smile.png
and I wouldn't have it any other way. I've never had all these respiratory, lice, worms, etc. problems. They're fat and healthy and happy. Plus, I don't have to buy as much food for them because they spend dawn till dusk foraging for their food. They free range among the dogs, and I haven't seen a natural predator in over two years.

At one time I had trouble with the neighbor allowing their 3-7 dogs run at large, and last year they killed a few chickens. But since I started shooting at them, I haven't seen them as much, and I haven't seen them near chickens since. They don't like it but they know they have to stop letting them loose to, "stretch their legs", or they just won't come back home one day....

Hate to sound so pessimistic on my first official BYC post, but here’s my two cents. I’m all about animals (not to the moronic PETA extent
rant.gif
) and spend a great deal of money on my own, as well as for conservation efforts, to include cash, donating time and labor. That said, the animals I choose to raise come first. I’m sincerely sorry to hear legislation in your areas is so nasty. I have actually just retired from Arizona and moved back to Washington state after nearly thirty years. We have opossums, raccoons , bobcats, coyotes and the list goes on. As it does, the carnivores also get larger. How bad are the laws here? I don’t know or really care. Would I do what it takes to defend my flock or my goats? Your d#@% right I will. If the Remington full of buckshot disturbs the neighbors, I will use the 10/22 or bow next time. As for the end results or evidence, a decent shovel is still less than twenty bucks at most hardware stores
cool.png
And for the record, I’m not an extremist, but I love my animals and they will prosper while I can do anything about it, hopefully long after
fl.gif

I'm with MoJo Chick'n, too.

Mine free-range and are as happy and healthy as clams. If one or two get picked off so be it, the circle of life and all that.

And for the record, I have NEVER had that happen -- the only ones we've lost to predators have been at night when they're locked in their coops. Coons were so bad this spring and early summer we had to BOLT the door shut with four LONG bolts every night -- and still, they ripped the bolts right out of the side of the coop to get some guinea keets and turkey poults
barnie.gif

My chickens are behind a large fenced are for thier safety- and thier happy (and yep chickens can be happy behind a fence- but I d agree the more area or even free ranging makes for less health problems) for thier safety. I've got coon,skunk, possum, fox(reds and greys), yotes (boy do I like sitting on the porch and hearing them- it's the country people!) domestic cats, and bears leave evidence of thier having been there day after day. I've lost two to what I believe were hawks or Eagles (several nesting pairs on the reservoir out my front window) and the danger is always there. I bought the property so my family and I could watch deer out the window, and see an occassional coon,fox,yote or bear (and we do) I take precautions with my animals, but understand that my two goals- of seeing wild animals and raising ducks, pigeons, and chickens don't necessarly take complimentery routes. Should my chickens (and yes I'm pretty found of many of them and would probably be brought to tears if several were eaten or killed) be killed by predators I'll manage, but not by "declaring war" as so, so many come on here and post after a predator loss. I wonder why some folks live where they do. Reminds me of the folks from the cities in NY and NJ that come to "live in the country" available in PA cause it's soo much more relaxing. They still don't say hello, drive too fast and look at anything "country-like" as hickish and offensive. Folks want all the good that the country has to offer and want to eliminate till the end of thier time on earth any hardships the same might bring or cause "they'll do anything to protect what thiers". There's a place for folks like that it's called the City. regards fellow chicken owners.

I freerange mine..
I will try to protect them with all I have to make them healthier and happier. If that means that stray dogs ,cats ,coon,birds, possums need to be eliminated.. so be it.
There will be/are certain losses I have/had to deal with due to predation that are behond my control as I cannot monitor them 24/7.But as long as I can control some aspect with their protection..
I had losses due to freeranging but the owners of the animals that didnt take care of their animals also had " losses"
if I am not around and it happends.. fine.. my own fault.. but if I am here and soemthing goes after my flock and its on my land.. tough cookie.. Dont care what it is..its gone
Youy want to keep your animals confined all their lives ? fine.. do what you want.but dont be suprised if you run across people that freerange theirs and go after predators.
I dont think anyone in their right mind would stand by and say .. awwhh.. look at that poor possum.. its just doing what it needs to survive and I guess my chickens was its dinner.
roll.png

My two cents... I'd go for quality of life over quantity of life anyday. And that's still opinion, because "quality of life" will look different to different people. I guess I'm saying I'd take a happy chicken (or dog, cat, horse) for a short while over an unhappy one that lives years and years. Of course that being said, I would always take reasonable precautions to keep them safe.

I live out in farmville....and my biggest problem isn't racoons, foxes, hawks, it's rats!!! I don't know what to do? I have put out poison (under buildings and things chickens and pets can't get to)I dont know how many times. They just keep coming back. The ferel cats don't do anything! So maybe I am lucky but either way there is always a reason to work harder.

Back
Top Bottom