DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
My 27 week old Salmon Faverolles took a swipe at me today when i was taking his picture. I was at chicken level and literally saw it coming through the camera. I felt it was half hearted attempt but stood up and stepped into him anyway. At which point he flogged my legs. That earned him my boot up his butt and a chase around the pen to really make him run from me.
I went to check on him later and couldn't find him in the 1/4 acre pen. He and 2 pullets flew over the HC gate. I lured them in with a handful of BOSS. That is when I noticed his left fifth toe with blood on it.
After everyone went to roost, I snatched him up and DH held him, while he (the cockerel) protested loudly.
When I went to blot the blood off his toe he shrieked and I'm pretty sure the toe is broken. No bone protruding or anything. I don't know how he did it but I think he may have somehow caught it on the gate when he jumped up on it to get out of the pen or, hell, maybe when he flogged me he did it.
I gently dabbed it with a little bluekote and we let him go. He walked back into the coop and started distress calling like the hounds of hell were coming down on him.
He then marched up the ramp into the coop and hopped up onto the roost.
I know there isn't much to do for the toe, but what about the broken trust? Should I even worry about it? I feel really bad about him shrieking. It clearly hurt like hell when I touched it.

I would be more offended the rooster attempted to flog you. Hopefully he learned to keep his distance from you.

He's a young testosterone poisoned idiot so I've given him a bit of slack. But I go after him every time he shows any interest in being a jerk. Which in all fairness is rare. He only gives me grief, never my DH but I'm the one who does nearly all of the caretaking so I think he considers me a threat. I want the little turd to keep his distance but I don't necessarily want him scared witless of me, but maybe that's what it's going to take.

He's a young testosterone poisoned idiot so I've given him a bit of slack. But I go after him every time he shows any interest in being a jerk. Which in all fairness is rare. He only gives me grief, never my DH but I'm the one who does nearly all of the caretaking so I think he considers me a threat. I want the little turd to keep his distance but I don't necessarily want him scared witless of me, but maybe that's what it's going to take.
At that age I prefer mine to run the other way. They should be thinking of pullets, not what I'm up to. We can be friends later when they are more mature.

He's being a jerk, and his injury is minor, compared to his behavior! The toe will heal, and would be difficult to splint and keep clean enough to justify managing it.
His aggression is another story! Read beekissed's article about managing problem roosters; I hope it helps.
In my experience, he's not likely to become a model citizen, so be ready with an alternative plan for him.
Mary

Had you ever handled him before?
They do shriek murder, but once he is released, alive, they may realize humans are 'safe'.
That's been my experience.
Only time will tell.

He was only ever handled as a chick for transport to and from the brooder to the coop when they were getting too big for the brooder but the secured run wasn't finished yet.
He didn't really shriek until I touched that bloody toe.
He did keep his distance from me this morning and that's fine by me.

Back
Top Bottom