I think I am going to loose new baby chick tonight! :(

momsflock

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
My partial order came in at the supply store today....one chick! Who knows when the rest of my order will be in, I only orderd 4! I did not want it to be lonely, so I picked up another one. (I can only get so many due to ordinance) I have a Silver laced Wyandotte and an Astralorp, but now the Astralorp does not look like it is doing well. She is laying on her side barely chirping or moving!

I am sooo sad and frustrated because I am new at this and do not know what to do! I did not plan for a casualty. I prayed over her and just hope she is better by morning. The kids are going to be in tears
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

I hope everything works out for you. I am getting 6 chicks in two weeks, and you have just described my biggest fear. These 6 will be my first, and I am praying all will go great with them. Have faith!

So sad. I have a SLW that is less than half the size of the others and now her legs are starting to give out. Might be heart problems. I guess it's natures way, but it doesn't make it any easier! Good luck to you.

Last edited:
You could try dipping her beak in a spoonful of water to see if you can get her to drink anything. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. I'll cross my fingers
fl.gif
for her. Sorry you're dealing with this, but it happens.
hugs.gif

Did you offer them sugar water when you brought them home? Also, make sure the brooder is warm enough. Chill will kill a day old chick quick!

I lost 4 last spring. They were my 2nd batch, so it wasn't as sad as loosing your first. Don't give up on having chickens. Figure out where you can adjust for better success & try again. For example, I'm using medicated feed this time, and attached a router speed controller to my brooder light so I could make fine adjustments to the temp.

I'm expecting my first chicks in 2 weeks and I'm worried about the potential losses......

Keep the little chickie comfy.....you can feel better knowing you made her comfy and warm......
hugs.gif

She died, so sad. I did give her water and it seemed to help, but it seemed like keeping her warm and giving her water was not going to save her. I layed her in the brooder and this morning she was gone. I did notice she could not walk and her legs did give out. I did not know that could be a heart issue.
Spiritdance~ what solution of sugar water?

Thanks everyone!

So sorry you lost a baby
sad.png
. We lost one the first day and it really upset our daughter. Hopefully the rest of your babies will arrive and that will help to keep them busy with the new ones. At least it did for us when they reshipped (replacement order, because 16/25 had died in shipping). I dipped all the new arrivals in a tepid sugar water solution when they arrived (just enough sugar that I could notice it... I don't use sweeteners so it probably wasn't much). It really perked them up.

Back
Top Bottom