I think I have a broody

violajack

Chirping
Jul 21, 2020
She's always gathered up the day's eggs for me and been halfheartedly sitting on the pile when I check in the evening, but she gets up when I open the door. Today, she has all the eggs (4 or 5 depending on today's lay) tucked well up under her and she is showing no signs of being willing to get off of them, so I'm leaving it. I wonder how long she'll go. There's going to be 4 (assuming she stops laying) new eggs in there every day. I wonder if she'll keep collecting. I'm so curious to see if she'll stick with it and how this will all play out. My incubator goes into lockdown tomorrow too, so there may be a whole lotta chicks around here soon.

Attachments

• 20200804_195046.jpg
    20200804_195046.jpg
    801 KB · Views: 11
She was off them this morning. I hope she's just waiting to collect some more. Last night was the best job she's done so far of staying on eggs, so she's trying harder, but the instinct may not be strong enough. We'll see how she is this evening when I go to collect. I hope she'll gather up all the new ones and sit and glare at me again.

She had collected 5 more from today and was up to 15. They were in a loose pile, and she was nowhere near being able to cover them all anymore even though she was trying. She jumped off as soon as I opened the door today, so I took them. I was hoping to move both groups to a much bigger enclosure this weekend, so it's better for now to not have to disrupt her. I'm sure she'll keep trying and hopefully a bigger pen with real hiding spots and not just a corner of the box will give her a better set up for keeping some eggs.

Back
Top Bottom