I think I have a Cornish of some type need help

Mrstruesdell

Hatching
Sep 12, 2021
I have been told that my chicken is a Cornish of some type a meat bird. I think I was told they’re pretty much lazy and funny birds but my question is do they roost on sticks or do they roost on the ground? Mine will not jump up on sticks it wants to sleep on the ground but it poops right where it sleeps. Keeps a poopy butt to because it has normal poop and diarrhea type poop is it normal? Should It have poopy butt feathers? How do I know if it is a hand or a rooster? About four months old

do they roost on sticks or do they roost on the ground?
Cornish cross meat chickens usually just sleep on the ground, because of how big and heavy they get.

it poops right where it sleeps.
Yes, chickens do poop a lot while they sleep.

Keeps a poopy butt to because it has normal poop and diarrhea type poop is it normal?
It is normal for chickens to have some runny poop and some firmer poop. They don't pee, so all the liquid waste comes out as "poop" too.

Should It have poopy butt feathers?
It is better to have clean butt feathers, but that may not be possible for this chicken (since it sleeps on the ground.)

How do I know if it is a hand or a rooster? About four months old
If it crows, it is a male.
If at some point it lays eggs, it is a female.

If it's not crowing or laying eggs, try posting a picture here and some of us can probably tell you which it is.

If it is a Cornish X, at four months old it should be huge. Can you tell how much it weighs? Maybe wrap a towel or sheet around it and put it in a bucket or box to weight it, or just step on a scale holding it and subtract your weight.

If you take photos, a shot showing the head, specifically the comb and wattles can help us determine sex. And a more general shot showing the legs, posture, and profile can help with both sex and breed.

If it is a Cornish X, at four months old it should be huge. Can you tell how much it weighs? Maybe wrap a towel or sheet around it and put it in a bucket or box to weight it, or just step on a scale holding it and subtract your weight.

If you take photos, a shot showing the head, specifically the comb and wattles can help us determine sex. And a more general shot showing the legs, posture, and profile can help with both sex and breed.

Attachments

• D6AA19D2-4405-433E-8A5C-C5F4A5A20D2A.png
    D6AA19D2-4405-433E-8A5C-C5F4A5A20D2A.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 10
  • E5738E87-689F-4D14-8773-8482EEE592B2.jpeg
    E5738E87-689F-4D14-8773-8482EEE592B2.jpeg
    559.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 30FD44CE-768E-4BA5-A2C7-215BAA503475.jpeg
    30FD44CE-768E-4BA5-A2C7-215BAA503475.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
Since you say it is 4 months old, I think it is female. A male would have much larger comb & wattles at that age.

Yes, it does look like a Cornish Cross (big and round, with much thicker legs than most other breeds.)

Its a Cornish cross hen. I let mine out for an hour and feed them once in the morning. If you want to keep them alive for more than 12 weeks, you need to restrict their diet. This type of chicken were bred to be slaughtered at 8 to 12 weeks. They can actually eat them selves to death.

Back
Top Bottom