I think I have a laying issue

annampet

Songster
Jul 2, 2018
NE Michigan
Last week one of our pullets layed a completely shell less, membrane less egg. It looked like someone cracked an egg in the coop. The yolk was intact and no shell prices so I don’t think it’s an egg eater.
Today one of our Easter eggers has been sitting in the run (even though everyone is getting some free range time) and when she walks, she’s walking with her tail down and seems unsteady.
I picked her up very easily, she didn’t try to run which she normally does, and tried to feel around to see if she’s egg bound, I couldn’t feel anything. I also checked her exit :) and it’s not blocked.
She’s a brand new layer. On layer feed mixed with grower crumbles and oyster shell available. About 23 weeks old.
Any ideas on what we’re experiencing? She’s the first laying issue I’m experiencing. I’m hoping it’s just a new layer issue and not a reproductive issue.
Thanks for your help!

they are new layers working kinks out in the production line there, it is totally normal, things you can do to help it is plenty of fresh cool water and increase calcium, oyster shell is a good one, and lots of patience as some can take up to a month to get them all worked out
You can try a warm epsom salt soak for 10-15 minutes if that is only symptom so far and keep a closer eye on her to make sure she doesn't have coccidosis or something else going on. when they first start laying some find it more uncomfortable

they are new layers working kinks out in the production line there, it is totally normal, things you can do to help it is plenty of fresh cool water and increase calcium, oyster shell is a good one, and lots of patience as some can take up to a month to get them all worked out

Thanks for the reassurance!

You can offer her some additional calcium. You can get calcium citrate tablets for people at the store, or even tums will do if you have it handy. Crush it and mix with something soft and yummy, like a part of a banana, applesauce, yogurt, etc. She may not be eating enough oyster shell. Like @slordaz said, a good soak might make her feel better.

Were her butt feathers gunky?
I would expect that with a membrane-less egg.

I have seen some odd behavior when a softie is moving down the pike.
First time I saw it I freaked.

So how is she this morning @annampet ?

Her butt was good, fluffy and not crusty :)

I was a little worried about how we would find her yesterday morning. She was a little wobbly but as the day moved on she was eating and drinking with the flock. She still spent a lot of time alone and just bedded down but was walking steady by the end of the day.
I haven't seen her today, husband lets them out in the morning while I take the kids to school. I'm expecting she's back to normal. Thanks for asking!!

Back
Top Bottom