I think i have that 10% chance of a rooster chick. But im already in love.

Crow collars are cruel. You're going to have to find him a nice home. Stop cuddling and coddling him, coddled cockerels turn into demons when puberty hits.
Not true. I've raised 4 before. They were super sweet. But breed takes a roll in that. They were all half jersy giant. The astrolorp jersy cross was a supper chill roo. He would walk up and ask to be held.The only one that was an issue had cross beak and would run from me because I had to do so much for him. His new family still keeps me updated on him. He learned to use the dog door and goes looking for them all the time. Rides on the sons shoulders ect and is 3 years old now

I would not recommend a collar. Sometimes they work; sometimes lead to death, painfully. I would recommend rehoming.
I will do what I can. The collar is only for if it takes a long time to home him were they wont eat him. I only have experience with a crow collar because no one wanted to keep a cross beak roo that needed help with wet food. Unless it was to be a freezer bird. And I am too soft to go with that. He's a really nice Rir specimen. But no one wants the chick version at the moment. There looking for yearlings.

I will do what I can. The collar is only for if it takes a long time to home him were they wont eat him. I only have experience with a crow collar because no one wanted to keep a cross beak roo that needed help with wet food. Unless it was to be a freezer bird. And I am too soft to go with that. He's a really nice Rir specimen. But no one wants the chick version at the moment. There looking for yearlings.
If the avian flu becomes a bigger problem maybe his bloodline will be needed to reestablish some ones flock or hatchery. I hold onto him and move him inside if I really need to till there's a better chance for him. Still have 5 months or so till crowing so there's options I'm preping for.

Not true. I've raised 4 before. They were super sweet. But breed takes a roll in that. They were all half jersy giant. The astrolorp jersy cross was a supper chill roo. He would walk up and ask to be held.The only one that was an issue had cross beak and would run from me because I had to do so much for him. His new family still keeps me updated on him. He learned to use the dog door and goes looking for them all the time. Rides on the sons shoulders ect and is 3 years old now
You must have the exceptions.🤔 and it's not every cockerel, but about 9/10 that go bad with coddling. It's not advised to train chickens to ride on shoulders. They land feet first and if they want a ride and you're unprepared, they are likely to hit your face and next thing you know, you're missing an eye.

You must have the exceptions.🤔 and it's not every cockerel, but about 9/10 that go bad with coddling. It's not advised to train chickens to ride on shoulders. They land feet first and if they want a ride and you're unprepared, they are likely to hit your face and next thing you know, you're missing an eye.
Uh I guess if you have bad corridination or are a small individual. I did not train him to do that. The 20 some thing guy did. That rooster ran everytime it sawe coming because I would wash his messy face after eatti g with his cross beak. The others just like to lap sit. And they would just do it on there own I never trained them. They would just watch the hens get all the attention and want some too. When they all weren't so big I used to have 8 chickens in my lap and arms and on the back of chair all the time. I'm gonna say this because it's like anyanimal. If the pet raiser is not a calm in control safe presence you wont raise well adapted animals unless it is there deliberate animal persona. Which is rare like you said

Cockerels can crow as young as 5 weeks, mine have started around 10 to 14 weeks old.
They all are still shooting pew pew guns at me (what there chirps sound like) he's just the loudest and most obnoxious one. We are at 6 weeks. I spend a lot of time with them so I will know when he starts.

So in your experience, they try to crow a few times but realize they can't....and STOP?! Did you attempt this with fully grown roosters or with newly crowing cockerels?

Do you think they will crow if they manage to get the collar off (or if you remove)?

I am very interested because I also have a potential rooster, and the collars sound promising, but most people say they don't really work.
I am not an expert. One rooster has worn it on for a couple months with no health problems. Sometimes I take it off in the afternoon and let him crow a few times, he has no problem with that. Other one has had it for a couple weeks with no problems. They are annoyed by it for a few seconds but soon start talking and walking around all manly.

First one had been crowing for a few weeks when I decided to try it. The second one got it the day after he learned to crow.

I don’t know how important exact placement of the collar is, I just put it where made sense to me. Under the hackles, against the skin, middle of the neck.

I’m seeing a lot of comments saying these are dangerous and cruel. My guys are happy and healthy. They every bit as manly as any other rooster with full range of vocalizations minus the crow. They are co dominant over two other roosters and 8 hens their age. They have normal color in the face, wattle and comb. They breathe normal.

I have no idea how someone could get it tight enough to choke them or cause damage. I was scared to get it as tight as I did. Needless to say, BE CAREFUL. Watch them to make sure they go back to normal.

I am with my birds every day. I hold them and feel the rooster’s neck to make sure food is passing fine and no other problems.

All that said, If these guys were feed store chicks, I would just butcher the day they learned to crow. They are not, and have interesting genetics that I want to preserve. Even so, if they were in pain, I would just butcher.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom