I think I have the wrong Barred Rock

easttxchick

Lone Star Call Ducks
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
I wasn't sure where to post this mods so it may have to be moved.

Two days ago one of my neighbors Barred Rocks SOMEHOW wandered down here and got mixed up in my flock while I had them out of the run in my yard(she honestly just appeared among my birds without my notice). The problem is, my neighbor's bird looks exactly like my favorite hen. I tried my best to decide which one was mine, but now I'm not sure.

Last night, the bird in question was the last one in the coop and once she finally went in she roosted on the second rung from the top(this would be a first) also, my rooster has been "after" her constantly(which is also new).

She seems very different personality wise as well. Could these behaviors be the result of her starting to lay on the day they got mixed up or do I have the wrong bird?

I know this seems very trivial, but I was(and am) very attached to this hen-she is the reason I ordered more Barred Rocks. I am really upset about this.

We banded our birds last night so this cannot happen again!

Is there any way for me to tell for sure?

There is no way to tell for sure unless you noticed something different obout her markings or a scar she might have. If she is acting different then you probably do have the wrong hen. Chickens might not be the smartest birds but they do have very different personalities.

Not much experience here, but I would think the odd behaviored hen is the one out of her flock.

She may wander back home, or be chased away by the other hens or the roo.

Oh, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I can't imagine wondering if you have 'your hen' or the other one.
th.gif

Ask your neighbor how the 'other' hen is doing. Is the flock treating her any differently? Does she recognize any differences?
fl.gif

Maybe switch hens again and see if you get your beloved back?
idunno.gif

Lisa

Could you swap them back for a day and see if the other one acts more like the one you are used to?

If not, or if there is no informative difference, you may just have to Decide that you've got it sorted out right, and chalk up the different behavior to starting to lay, and resolve not to worry about it any more
wink.png

(And it seems to me that they often do change personality a bit when they start to lay, becoming a bit more "themselves" and assertive and confident. And of course the general timing tends to coincide with the rooster getting more interested, as he has finally discovered someone new to jump up and down on
tongue.png
)

Good luck,

Pat

Thanks guys-I know it seems foolish to be so attached to one chicken, but what can I say?

The timing on this thing stunk with her JUST starting to lay that same day. Like you said Pat, I wasn't sure if it was a "hey I'm laying" behaviour change or "hey stupid, you have the wrong chicken" behaviour change.

My neighbor has 4 Barred Rock hens so I may have to do a rotating bird exchange!
barnie.gif

I've never added a new bird to an established flock, but don't most flocks put up some objections to a new bird added to the flock? If this is true, have they been acting differently to this UFO (unidentified flying opportunist)?

Quote:
You know, we thought the same thing, but I started the great Barred Rock swap and they paid no attention to any one of the new birds I added(by the way, I know about the biosecurity and I know how my neighbor cares for her birds-they are healthy-I take care of them sometimes or I would have been afraid to try this).

Still not sure(why do the have to look so darn much alike?) if I have my bird or not.

Love the UFO term, by the way!
lau.gif

Quote:
Its never foolish to become attached to any pet
love.gif
even a chicken! They are sweet, funny and even give us "presents" that we can eat for breakfast! What more could you ask for? talk to your neighbors about the hen. Perhaps if she is also behaving different you could try to swap them again to see if that's what happened. If she is with their birds she probably misses you too.
smile.png

Thanks ya'll for understanding why I was upset over this and not muttering under your breath "what a freak, it's just a chicken".

I got my bird back
love.gif
after bringing ALL of her hens down here and comparing them to my flock-they just weren't as fat as mine(mine all look like big balls with heads).

I learned something very valuable from this(besides banding my birds)-I can drive my big ol' Dodge Ram with my right hand while holding a chicken in my left. Don't worry good people of Southeast Texas-I was not out there on the highway, I was back here on my piddlin' little dead end road!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom