I think I have two roosters... Confirmation please?

the barred rock has the wrong type of pattern

to me they look like cockerels right now and bo looks like a production red

Last edited:
They both are not pure bred. I believe the one is barred rock mix and the other BO mix. You'll have to wait to find out the sex. Crosses are difficult to sex early.

I think they both look like cockerals. At 11 weeks none of my pullets have that much red or wattles showing. The buff isn't buff or an orpington, maybe a new hampshire? The barred bird is possibly a black sex link, but I vote cockeral for both. Post pics again in a few weeks.

mmm, my pullets were red and wattly around that age.

Mine were too.

Here's my SF at 5 weeks! She's definatly a pullet.
600262c2-1608-501e.jpg

My RIR pullet at 8 weeks
600262c2-1639-5b2b.jpg

Last edited:
The BO looks like a hatchery New Hampshire Red - pullet The BR is a Barred Rock - just a bad quality one - and is also a pullet. The commercial strains have wonky barring. Nothing compared to a heritage barred rock!
_MG_1813.jpg
My barred rocks are the same age in this picture. The boys have huge combs/wattles.
_MG_1748.jpg

Here is a commercial type BR pullet @ 8 weeks
_MG_0636.jpg
Notice barring is not as precise as the better quality ones I own above. They are awesome layers, and very friendly, which is why I have them around.

I had ordered the assorted brown egg layer package on efowl so that probably accounts for my sort of but not really Buff Orp and Barred Rock chickens :<

Thanks for all your input so far! I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope they're both pullets as I heard cockerels would have started crowing by now. I'll update again in like a month or so regarding these two

Well unfortunately the barred rock suspect really does seem to be a rooster.. as evidenced by these pictures over 4 weeks later :(

in comparison to the other br chicken

look at that tail!

here's to hoping these chickens are hens, i'm a little worried given how big their combs and wattles are, though definitely not as big or red as the boy up there

Back
Top Bottom