I think I have two roosters....

resenrob

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 2, 2013
Hello all,

Out of the thirteen chicks that we bought, we believe two of them are roosters (we thought they only sold hens). Anyway, both are barred rocks and I don't know if this is going to cause a problem in the future. I'm still hoping that both are just manly hens, but since this is the first time owning chickens I just don't know. Both are way bigger than the other gals and both have larger red combs but they also both have a grey streak running down there legs (which I read was a sure bet that they were hens). So, back to my main question, if they are indeed both roosters....will it be a problem having two boys for eleven gals? Thanks for y'alls help.

From what I have read it kind of depends on the roos. Some of them develop dominant and submissive roles, others go to war.

It could be.... it would be better if you had.... 5 more hens, or more. You can see if it works out, and it might, but it also might not.

Actually having two cockerels is almost ideal. Here's why. With hatchery stock, which feed stores re-sell, one of those cockerels is likely to be better suited to your desires than the other. Since hatcheries mass produce birds, breeding in huge pens of say 100 rooster over 1000 hens, there is no selective breeding. It's a crap shoot as to what you get in terms of personality, size, beauty, and quality of bird.

I'd keep them both and make a judgement as to which is calmer, more people friendly and better with the pullets. Frankly, you simply won't know that until both are "of age", around 9 months up to their first birthday. That is the time to cull. You cannot guess the temperament of these fellas until you see how they react to the massive amounts of testosterone that is coming. Some are great and some are absolute jerks. Keep only good natured roosters. There are already far too many nasty roosters in the world already. Freeze camp for them.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. We are keeping them all since they seem to enjoy each others company. So, since all is going well, we might fence off another area of our land for some "meat" chickens but don't know yet. Thanks again for your tips.

The fact that they are raised together,really helps the situation.

Eleven girls is probably not a whole to much for them, once they hit puberty and start mating the hens backs will get barer and barrier due to over mating to too few hens.

teens are rough. Brothers continuously spar, shove each other off hens, team tag on hens, altogether IS horrible.Occasionaly all this conflict causes one to get extremely tired of another then they have a death match.

Back
Top Bottom