i think i just killed my kitten

mom wewantchicks!

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
buckhannon,wv
ok,thats it im done. and im serious this time. when we moved to our new hosue we had 3 cats of our own. all spayed,all up to date on shots. we found a little kitten in the woods. the mom didnt come back all day and the neighbors have like a million so we took him in. he couldnt have been 3 weeks old. i bottle feed him and wiped his little butt. he grew and thrived. someone dumped a kitten off at my moms,she was there all summer. a friend says she needs her for a barn cat. i tell her i will help pay for her to get spayed. so i cart this cat home and of course she doesnt want her anymore. so i figure i will find her a home. now my little baby is sick. i know there is someone else out there who has feed a kitten like a baby and watched it grow,it is almost like a baby. hes only about 9 weeks old now and no i havent had him in for shots. we had a trip planned to my mil so i figured i would take him and the extra cat,thats what the kids call her, in in a few weeks. well the vet thinks my kitten may have fip,or feline luekemia. he could have had it his entire short life,but i cant help but feeling like i killed him. he was wonderfull until we got this other cat. she could be a carrier and i am so upset. there is nothing i can do for the little guy. i dont think ive cried this much since i put my 14 year old dog to sleep. everyone please pray that my poor little baby has something fixable. no more cats for me and no more picking up strays to help them out.it is to much heartache.

Aww I'm so sorry for your lose
sad.png
Don't blame yourself though, you did all you could to save that baby that's what counts. :aww

well he is not dead yet and the vet needs me to bring him in for tests tommorow but that illness is what he is leaning towards. dh keeps telling me not to get all worked up till we get the tests done tommorow.

Many cats can live long relatively healthy lives with FIV and even cats with leukemia can live several years, they just need to be in an indoor home with no other cats.
If it hasn't even been tested for either of them I wouldn't get too worried just yet.
Be on the look out for elderly people or someone who is interested in having a single indoor cat and the little one can have a very bright future still.
Don't let the vet pressure you into euthanizing it either, some will. Like I said, there are opportunities for the kitten if you're willing to do the work to find it the right home.

Last edited:
UPDATED..........

well i just spent 122 bucks for the vet to tell me the kitten has fleas. im so relieved he isnt going to die,but i feel like an idiot. since he was soooo small i hadnt put any frontline on him. i had been bathing him in a flea shampoo about every 10 days. poor little guys is all full of steriods and vitaims,but already he is eating and acting better. he was even after the hubbys boot strings today lol.

mom,wewantchicks! :

UPDATED..........

well i just spent 122 bucks for the vet to tell me the kitten has fleas. im so relieved he isnt going to die,but i feel like an idiot. since he was soooo small i hadnt put any frontline on him. i had been bathing him in a flea shampoo about every 10 days. poor little guys is all full of steriods and vitaims,but already he is eating and acting better. he was even after the hubbys boot strings today lol.

Don't feel like an idiot, it's better safe than sorry! About 15yrs ago I got a frantic call from my mother, she said my cat had been hit on the road. She was howling in pain & couldn't walk right. The barn I woked at was on the way to the vets, she stopped by & let me see her, she had her wrapped up in a towel. My mother stopped back about 1/2 hr later to tell me it cost me $50 to find out my cat was in heat
th.gif

SO glad to hear your kitty is ok..I raised a kitty from 6 days old. I was in the vet with one of my other cats and someone walked in with him and just wanted to drop him off...he said he found him in a window well.
He's 4 now....just wanted to say kudos to you cause it's not an easy thing to do...the l'il cuties are alot of work.
big_smile.png

yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif
Atleast it's better than a havin a sick cat.
smile.png
But yea it's hard to know what cat medicine is okay for kittens...... found kittens dropped off at 6wks & I was afraid OTC kitten ear mite drops were too much of a cat medicine.
roll.png
But, hey atleast we look out for their health for Over medicating them
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom