I think I just screwed up big-time!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ssledoux, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ssledoux

ssledoux Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Okay, so I have 30 meat birds coming Thursday or Friday, and 22 pullets coming the week of the 16th. My sister gave me 6 layers yesterday. Today, at the feed store, my oldest dd was with me and we were checking out the chicks (BIG MISTAKE).

There was one little RIR with one of her toes dangling and bloody. Of course all the chicks were pecking at it and chasing her around, so, what did we do but take the little booger home. And lest she be alone and miserable, I picked up 4 buffs to keep her company (I wanted some to set some eggs anyway but still).

Well, dd cuddled her all the way home, and of course she can't go in the big crate with the others because they peck her foot, so she is alone in a small crate anyway - and she peeps away unless one of us talks to her or holds her.

Why, oh why???

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  2. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    Thats cool!

3. hippy.cate

hippy.cate Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Oh Stacey, you glutton for punishment LOL.

I think it's a lovely thing to do - even if not completely sane. Great project for your home schooling kids!

4. vicegrip

vicegrip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    I think you did good luck [​IMG]

5. tamlynn

tamlynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Torrance, CA
    I know why you did it. Because you are not raising chickens, you are raising children.

6. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    awww your so sweet to take that poor picked on baby home.

bet you just saved its life

7. Missouri Maiden

Missouri Maiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    Aww that's so sweet! [​IMG] Hmmm reminds of...
    My mom ran "chick day" at the feed store where she works and, there was this little duck with a limp... the lady that ordered him didn't take him because she thought he would only die any way. [​IMG] So my mom took him home and we raised him for a day or two and he started getting better and running around. But we didn't have a pond so we knew we would have to give him away... But we wanted for him to have a happy home, so my mom went to the park in town and asked if they needed any more ducks for thier pond. Long story short Skipey ( that's the name we gave him because he had to skip everywhere for awile) has a happy home in the park!

O and you might want to tape recored some chickens or play chicken noises at least because one time there was a chick and they kept it in a box by itself (because it was sick) and when it got better it forgot that was a chicken and was scared of other chickens!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Put a warm stuffed animal in with her or a jar with warm water in it covered by a fuzzy sock. She wants company is all.

9. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    lol if chickens could talk im sure that one would say goo goo ga ga, and then when it got a little older it would say thank you lol

10. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Can you put her in the same brooder, but divide it in half with a piece of hardware cloth, until her feet heal up? Then she will still be "part of the flock". Just make sure she gets some heat lamp also. A red light instead of white would also help them be less "pecky".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by