I think... I just screwed up.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Badhbh, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I have three big eggs in with the Serama eggs, and I lost track of when I put them in. So I get home today, and all three are pipped. I inspect, and two aren't moving or cheeping, one is raising a fuss and normal. I got a good look at one, and it wasn't moving at all. It pipped, then died. I got the second one, and it wasn't moving either so I chipped off a bit of shell. Oops, it was just resting. [​IMG] There's some blood, and it's still alive- I stuck it right back in the incubator. I've never had one bleed on me before. Obviously, that's bad news, but how bad is it? Have I possibly killed it?

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I never "help" a chick out, if it is strong and healthy it will make it out of the shell, if not it won't. I would just leave alone at this point an see what happens.

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    maybe just make shure it stays moist with damp paper towls but I have no experance so I have no idea i just have read that if you mess with them you need to make shure they dont dry out. and you could probly use a damp paper towl to stop bleeding if its still.

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

So long as it is not bleeding bad it should be fine. I have done this to a coulpe that I thought where dead also after day 24.

5. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Don't be scared of the blood. It doesn't hurt them as far as I can tell. Normally if you've helped it at all, you will have to do the rest.

6. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Well they both made it out just fine and dandy. No lasting effects it seems [​IMG]

7. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    I thought you said one died?

8. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Didn't she say she had 3 eggs?

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Loss of blood is alway BAD, This is were alot of newbe go wrong, best not to help them out. Could be up to 24 hours after they pip before they hatch.

10. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Yes, there were 3 eggs. One died, one bled, and one had no problems. So I have two successfully hatched eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by