I think I killed my fertile duck eggs! First time hatching!

Another question if you can help me. Should I worry my hen will reject the ducklings when they hatch? She didn't like a tiny chick I put my her.
I don’t think so. My friend put a ducking with a hen and baby chicks, and she kept that duckling like it was her own. My friend has also stuck baby chicks with a hen that already had chicks. And even switched the hens out. So I think she should be okay 🙂

I don’t think so. My friend put a ducking with a hen and baby chicks, and she kept that duckling like it was her own. My friend has also stuck baby chicks with a hen that already had chicks. And even switched the hens out. So I think she should be okay 🙂
Ok just stressing out about this😂 thank you!

Ok update. I checked the eggs this morning and the dark part is only on one side like they were yesterday. I can see the spot where the duckling is growing. I'm only using my phone flashlight so it's not the best but only hand the egg is full and I'm worried it will get stuck to the shell membrane and die.

Ok update. I checked the eggs this morning and the dark part is only on one side like they were yesterday. I can see the spot where the duckling is growing. I'm only using my phone flashlight so it's not the best but only hand the egg is full and I'm worried it will get stuck to the shell membrane and die.
It's normal for him to only fill the egg halfway at this stage. Phone flashlights can be weaker then regular ones so you're probably not seeing the entire picture. Try not to worry to much. :hugs

Ok I have an update. A duckling hatched (at least we think) and it was dead on the other side of the coop with the umbilical cord looking thing still attached. The duckling was fully formed. We have removed the eggs from the hen but we left one egg so she didn't go crazy. We don't own an incubator and have the eggs under a heat lamp. Is that enough? What do we need to do?

Back
Top Bottom