I think I"m losing her....help

s6bee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
Western, NY
I posted this elsewhere and got no reply, if anyone can tell me what might be wrong and how I can get her better please advice.

It's awful sudden, but she's pale in her comb and waddle, not really drinking, seems maybe a little thin but plenty of food. Lethargic too. No signs of worms. What can I giver her that I may have on hand? I put electrolites in the water, and mixed up yogurt, oatmeal and a bit of layer mash together. She ate 3 small bites and has no interest. This is my daughter's pet and she seems to be fading fast. I have her seperated from the other hens. She is in the coop alone where the temp is about 50-60 degrees.

I am a bit nervous about doing that but will. I just thought I could have her suffocate if I didn't do it right. Advise?

How is her poo? Is it possible she has a strain of cocci that is not in the cecum? Egg bound? How is her weight? Hope she can pull though, do you have any childrens vit she can drink?

I just called my local farm store and I can't get Aviacharge 2000 here. So you think just the polysol (sp? ) vitamins will help? I will look at her poo now that she's alone, but don't know right now. She seems a bit thin but can't imagine it being worms as we are just coming out of a long and cold/snowy winter, I guess it's possible

I am headed out soon so anything I can get for her please tell me and I'll put it on my list. I hate to leave though.

Polyvisol for vitimins and I would add a probiotic (I use probios) and apple cider vinager. You can put this all in her water and then if she doen't want to drink try dripping it along her beak-not necessarily in her beak-if I recall correctly.

I got the vitamins and gave it to her directly, I'm really not sure how much she needs to get? She is acting the same, however she did lay me an egg, but it was much lighter in color than usual for her, does that mean anything? I'll be bringing her in tonight, just need to set up.
She doesn't seem to be drinking or eating either. No poop from what I can tell. Any other thoughts? I did forget to close the coop door last night and though we have the heat lamp in there, the temps got to 20 degrees. The water was not frozen though. Did she just get too cold?

I don't bother with a heat lamp unless we are getting down into the single digits or lower. I have a neighbor who doesn't use one at all. I don't think 20 hurt her.

I have seen dhlunicorn recommend the polyvisol at "four drops of POLYVISOL in the beak once a day for a week then taper off the next" Hopefully she will chime in here when she gets on.

Try dripping water along her beak and see if she will take it in. I know you said you are afraid of drowning her and this way you shouldn't have that trouble.

Good luck!

you need to keep the bird hydrated and in a temp stable environment (warm) separated from the others. Dehydration will kill your bird quicker than what is originally ailing her...so keep her hydrated! You can go to a petstore and get (baby) parrot hand-feeding formula...this is a powder you mix with water and you can hand feed her this (this a bit at a time)...the bird MUST swallow on its own.

Last edited:
She's much better today, eating and drinking! However her comb is still pale in color? I have her inside and plan on it if I need to. Why would the comb still be pink rather than red?

Back
Top Bottom