i think i need a dog--what breed is best?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickies, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Chickies

Chickies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Northeast Florida
    the day before yesterday, something got one of our pullets, and it was very eaten. it was in the middle of the day (i was running errands from 2-5) and we're guessing it was a racoon or bobcat. anyway, we figured the only way to keep free range chickens safe from day-time predators is a good dog. so i'm wondering if any of you have input on the best kind of dog for a chicken bodyguard??

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Be careful. Dogs are predators. Dogs that can be left unsupervised with poultry are the exception, not the rule.

3. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    A dog is more than just a protector of your property. There is alot of responsibility in owing a dog. Any dog you get will probably have to be trained a bit to leave the chickens alone.

I have 3 dogs. The lab/bc cross had to be trained to leave the chickens and guineas alone. One mini doxie will chase them for about two seconds. I think she enjoys making them fly off. The other mini doxie really doesnt care either way.

Check out your local shelter or rescue. Try www.petfinder.com

You can visit dogs at shelters and get a "feel" for the dogs personality and fit for your lifestyle and family. Good luck on your search for your perfect dog

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Even tho I can't trust my dogs alone with my chickens I know they're the reason that I don't have more problems with raccoons, coyotes, and foxes getting my chickens. I've got two husky mixes (one is my house dog) and a rat terrier.

5. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Female German Shepherd. Great disposition, super easy to train (practically train themselves).
    BUT you can't trust one alone with your chickens. No matter what I do, how I do it, she is going to eat my chickens given the chance.
    But she does an outstanding job keeping all the other predators away.

6. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Please do a 'search' on this topic; this question is asked daily. You can find the search button on the menu at the top of the page.

7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:I have a Bernese Mountain Dog that would not hurt a fly unless they were hurting one of her kitty or poultry friends. She is my only dog I can trust with my poultry and I have left her unattended with them if I had to run inside for something and always come back out and she is in the exact down-stay I left her on watching over the poultry. I also have 2 other dogs of different breeds that would eat whatever poultry they could get to if I let them out with the poultry so they are always kept put away when the poultry are out running in the yard. I don't think I would ever leave the place while my poultry were free-ranging though as they is too much risk of neighbor dogs, coyotes, foxes, ect. getting to them and harming my dog as she tried her best to protect them. She is not even left alone outside when we are away from home. You never know what could come attack while you are away so it's best to keep them in a secure pen when you are not at home to supervise.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  8. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    I've heard that Great Pyrenees(sp?) are good livestock dogs but I have no personal experience with this breed. They aren't meant to be pets but are working dogs. Be forewarned these are large dogs and I have read that they aren't the 'do tricks' type of dog. They are also expensive but perhaps you could find a mixed breed with some Great Pyrenee in its background.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The only dog I've ever had that I trusted completely around my chickens was a Saint Bernard mix.

10. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

PLEASE rescue a dog or puppy! They will be forever grateful!

This is our livestock gaurdian. He is like 100 years old but does a great job of keeping things away and is really gentle with the chickens, even when he is unsupervised. He is lab/burnese mountain dog.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by