I think I scared my chickens yesterday...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by painthappy, Nov 10, 2011.

1. painthappy

painthappy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    I was cleaning out their coop and brought down a large bag of shavings. It slipped as I was putting it down and hit the ground with a loud thud.

My birds went nuts and starting making what I would now call a stereotypical chicken noise, but I had never heard them do it. This went on for about a minute... I finally got out my phone and snapped some video just before they stopped.

I have never heard them make this noise, and thought it was just interesting. I'm assuming it was because I scarred them, nor did they didn't like the big bag I was carrying.

The first is my rooster, and the high pitched squak is one of the girls just off into the woods behind a bush and then she runs out. The others were out of view...

Edited for spelling.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine did the same thing yesterday when they turned the plastic container I carry eggs in on its side. It doesn't take much. I've seen them stand at the coop door trying to decide whether to enter (and hollering) after changing out the litter.

They really are a lot of fun!

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Yep, you freaked them out. I LOVE that sound. I just hope my neighbors do too. ;-)

4. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Sounds a lot like the egg song. [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:The Egg Song and the Alarm Song are the same, actually. Except the Cadence of the alarm version is faster and has added urgency to it.

Kinda like the difference between
    "I laid an egg! I laid an egg! I'm so wonderful and this is the best egg ever! Come see this perfect egg!"
    and
    "Go Way go away go away, there's something bad going on!"

6. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    X2 Yep!

I was at a poultry show and somebody dropped a cage and every chicken in the building started to do that same call!

Happy-Hens

7. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I've never heard the alarm call before honestly.
    I guess my girls have never been scared!
    I've heard my rooster warn of predators overhead, the girls just run when he shouts.
    Nothing like that though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by