I think Ideal made a mistake....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gritsar, May 6, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    but it's not such a bad thing. Using the guide that Gindee77 posted awhile back I've been really watching for signs of a roo. I'm suppose to have two, a dark brahma and a buff brahma.
    The dark brahma roo is there alright. He may be a little on the small side, but he's definitely shaping up to be a roo. But there's no sign of roo development in any of my buffs; although they are all beautiful.
    What I do have is a light brahma that's developing a much larger comb and different tail feathers and just last night he started making a noise that is definitely not a "peep".
    So when it's all said and done, I think I will have a dark roo and a light one; which is just fine by me as all the lights have really stolen my heart. How could I have ever thought they weren't as pretty as the others?!

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Do remember that Ideal states that when sexing, they are usually 90% right.

So you got that little 10% when you ordered a roo.
    No worries though, you can always get another one.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I love brahmas! My roommate bought me a bunch of buff brahma pullets from Atwoods. [​IMG] He even managed to snag a buff brahma bantam pullet (luck o' the draw) from the bantam straight run bin.

I already had a light brahma bantam pullet. She lays the neatest small brown eggs. They're almost spherical.

I ordered some brown rose comb leghorns from Ideal, 4 girls and 2 boys. I think I ended up with 1 boy and 5 girls - which is a-okay in my book. [​IMG] I'm not even complaining!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by