I think Ideal made a mistake....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gritsar, May 6, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    but it's not such a bad thing. Using the guide that Gindee77 posted awhile back I've been really watching for signs of a roo. I'm suppose to have two, a dark brahma and a buff brahma.
    The dark brahma roo is there alright. He may be a little on the small side, but he's definitely shaping up to be a roo. But there's no sign of roo development in any of my buffs; although they are all beautiful.
    What I do have is a light brahma that's developing a much larger comb and different tail feathers and just last night he started making a noise that is definitely not a "peep".
    So when it's all said and done, I think I will have a dark roo and a light one; which is just fine by me as all the lights have really stolen my heart. How could I have ever thought they weren't as pretty as the others?!

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Songster

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Do remember that Ideal states that when sexing, they are usually 90% right.

So you got that little 10% when you ordered a roo.
    No worries though, you can always get another one.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I love brahmas! My roommate bought me a bunch of buff brahma pullets from Atwoods. [​IMG] He even managed to snag a buff brahma bantam pullet (luck o' the draw) from the bantam straight run bin.

I already had a light brahma bantam pullet. She lays the neatest small brown eggs. They're almost spherical.

I ordered some brown rose comb leghorns from Ideal, 4 girls and 2 boys. I think I ended up with 1 boy and 5 girls - which is a-okay in my book. [​IMG] I'm not even complaining!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: