1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think I'm at the only school that HASN'T closed!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's so frustrating. All of my professors were expecting a snow day today. However, it seems the temp here is a good old 49* and the rain is washing away most of the snow we got last night. What a bummer! My home up North was hit with about 6 inches of snow and down near the beach, we got about 2 inches. It's amazing what a difference 2 hours south can make!

So I'm sitting here, waiting to head out for my next class. The only thing I'm glad about right now is the warm temperature!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Bummer! I hate it when mother nature fools with a snow day!

3. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Im outta school :] We got alot of snow and ine tho!

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    You could live in West Michigan. Six inches is something we basically roll our eyes at anymore. [​IMG] The army of plows has it all cleared away before the city schools open in the morning. We need a good, quick 8-10" minimum in a very specific time frame to be closed.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, most of my friends were crossing their fingers for a snow day last night. I think when you are expecting something so strongly, it just makes the day go by even slower when that expectation doesn't happen!

Blah, I have class until 8:00pm! No fun! Maybe the rain will freeze by then, but it's doubtful!

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Trust me your profs are no happier about it being open than you are!

7. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Some professors are nuts. That makes me think of the night there was a hurricane blowing into Mobile. I had a night class from 6-9. Got there and found out we were the ONLY class meeting that night. By the time he released us (he was generous enough to let us out early), the parking lot lights had gone out from the storm.

8. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just got back from my second class today. Both of my professors were just as unhappy about it as we were!

Not only is the weather terrible, but the shuttles to and from classes have been PACKED! Twice I've had to walk back after waiting for the shuttle just because there was no space. At least the walk isn't too bad, and it is warm, but everything is just one big puddle! So far my shoes and pants are beyond soaked!

I'm just worried that the temp will drop tonight and all this rain will freeze over night. There is a really good possibility that will happen, so there is a chance I may not have my one class tomorrow. I guess we'll see though. I'm lucky enough that I live on campus, so everything is within walking distance for me. I won't have to worry about driving!

9. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I have to tell you - not sure that I am happy having no school today. I drive school buses and there are a few schools in our district that have used all their snow days and most Seniors here were supposed o take Regents today - they may have to retake all parts in June. Imagine having to study for that again! Anyway, if all snow days are used we lose contingency days. Ugh! That means that some kids may have school after the "last" day in June.

HMM....[​IMG]

10. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    my teenage son plows to make spending and savings money & prays hard for snowdays...we call snowstorms "Pennys from Heaven". ;o]
    Today he was out starting at 4am doing driveways and parking lots for smaller business's in the area. He's sleeping now and will go back out again around 9pm till 1 or 2am then school at 8am.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by