I think I'm dealing with meraks!

erica85

Hatching
Mar 28, 2015
Oregon
I believe I am dealing with meraks. One of my 11 weeks old pullets has been falling down a lot. She would try to get up and then fall back on her butt. It started getting a lot worse. I sent a video to a friend and she told me it looked like meraks. My pullet was so bad today that we put her down. I have 2 older (2 yr old) hens and 5 (11 week old) pullets and 2 ( 8 wk old) bantams (sex unknown) I noticed today that one of my 8 wk old bantams was acting funny. Not wanting to walk around. Is this going to infect my whole flock? They are all free range during the day. I am devastated!! I take such good care of my girls and for this to happen crushes me. Do I get rid of all my flock? Will my 2 older hens get it also? Also, if some of my chickens do make it, will they infect all new chicks I bring in??

Last edited:
Mereks disease is everywhere. You either vaccinate for it as a day old chicks or breed for resistance but nothing is 100% effective. If your other chickens weren't vaccinated then they may get it but there is no way to know. This is not reflective of how well you take care of your birds. This disease is air born.

All of my chicks have come from the feed store. I guess I assumed they were vaccinated. I might have been wrong. So it sounds like it's a waiting game for now?

Back
Top Bottom