I think impacted crop in all 7 Christmas babies! Cant navigate new forum *sorry*

Seems odd, maybe someone gave them something like bread? I watched sadly, one day when I was feeding my mini ducks , one choke to death on dry crumbles, they were 4 months old and she was eating with the others and started flopping around and I had seen her do it slightly once before and i'd put her beak immediately in the water and she was ok. That day I couldn't do anything and she just died in front of me. I then switched to pellets , I'd hated crumbles as it seemed to get wasted and make their heads and feathers stickly....
I am sorry to hear of your loss I know personally how hard it is to deal with.
hugs.gif

Everyone knows bread is a no-no for ducks in the house. I think they just gorged on their chick crumbles and didnt drink at all. It took them 10 mins to eat a cup of chick starter - I gave them mash veggies in 1 bowl and mash fruit in another this am before I left for work. I came home at lunch and they hadnt touched it and were quite upset with me why I hadnt fed them yet today. I took some of the crumble like a pinch of it and put it on top of the mash bowls they started eating it. Came home tonight and both bowls were empty. I might try a little mash in the am again then slowly work back the chick starter - they are only 3 weeks old so need to keep them on the starter. I will make sure the water is right next to the food - I think the boys might have moved it a little further than the babies could move between easily so they were only getting the food down with no water with the feed.
Hopefully the is the 1st and last impacted crops I ever have to deal with.
Their water bowl this am had food in the bottom so they must had still been puking throughout the night? There was no feed in with them at night only water.

I have experience with this, but I am curious as why the neck would be so red on the outside? My first guess would have been surface trauma like one of the other posters suggested.

Back
Top Bottom