I think it is over (sorry it's long)

4F FARM

Songster
12 Years
Jan 7, 2008
North Idaho
I have 22 eggs in the bator. Everything was going so well. Then...I noticed my lows were around 91. I couldn't figure it out. Aha! I caught my husband lowering the house temp at night. I had to explain that with the styrofoam bators I had to have constant temps. Ok I got that solved. I was keeping my fingers crossed that one night of low temps would be ok and they might survive. Then this weekend we get three feet of snow in two days. No problem for the eggs, just us getting around town. Then the power goes out for 6 hours. The lowest the eggs got was 85. Do you agree with me that it is over for these eggs? Or should I leave them and candle on day 16 to see what I get? I'm currently on day 13.

I would go ahead and candle them. If you see veins, I would let them continue growing. You might be just fine. Don't give up just yet.
fl.gif

I would candle them. You should see little wiggles in there. It may have just delayed your hatch.

Thanks for the support. This weeks has just been the worst of luck for me. I will candle them and see where I stand. Thanks for all the good vibes!

Keep going! Lows are a billion times more survivable than highs. I've had eggs hatch that were incubated for two days, and then sat on a counter at room T still make it. Late, lower hatch rate, but still alive.

NEVER, NEVER give up. Let them continue - what have you got to lose?

I can't keep the temps in my old house stable, heck can't even get the house close to warm, so I put my bator in a small bathroom and put a portabe heater with thermostat in there so that room stays warm.

Let them sit. Nature has a way.

The first time I ever tried to hatch chicks my temps were low....I had a healthy hatch on day 25.....

Back
Top Bottom