I THINK IT MAY HAVE A PENDULOUS CROP

Lady Lakenvelder

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Imlay city, michigan
A few days ago I got two Hens. One is an EE and the other is BO. The BO started to pick on the EE right away. The EE is sweet and docile. This morning I noticed the EE had a bubbly eye. So I put her in a small cage. That's when I noticed her crop was hanging very low, and was squishy and, was the size of a golf ball. I did some research and think it may be a pendulous crop. The bubbly eye may be related to this condition. Does anyone have some advice for me? It's so sad because I am already attached to this sweet bird.

I think before you diagnose anything about the crop, you need to watch for a week or so. At night, make sure it is full, and in the morning make sure it is empty. Being that you just got her and she was getting picked on may mean she didnt eat enough. A squishy golf ball size crop means she didnt eat much. The bubbles in the eye is a totally different story. Does she have any other respiratory symptoms? Keep her separated for now. watch her. You may need to put her on Tylan or something comparable for a short while. Keep us updated.

UPDATE: Last night when I got home from work I checked on her. She's not doing better. Now her bubbly eye is swollen shut, the whole side of her head seems swollen. She has mucus in her nostris and seems to be breating from her mouth. I don't think she's eating or drinking. What can I do?

Sorry to hear that. Were you able to get the tylan? I like to use the tylan 50 injectable. It works much quicker than water soluble medications.

What does her droppings look like?

How has her crop been?

What are you feeding her?

Make sure she gets some water immediately if you think she is not drinking. Either put her beak in the water and see if she will start to drink or you may need to use a syringe. With a syringe, you will need make sure you do not get water into the lungs. Her condition will worsen if she gets dehydrated.

Infectious Coryza is what it sounds like with the swelling of the face and eye, although the bubbles in the eye early on make me think CRD.

Last edited:
CRD is chronic repiratory disease. Usually a bubbling eye indicates CRD but you really need to take in all the symptoms and information before really dianosing something. You said she was getting picked on by the other one, could she have injured the eye or side of the face? you may want to try and clean it out gently and see if you see a cut or scrape that may have gotten infected. Did you get tylan injectable or tylan powder for the water? How much are you giving?

I really think she has CRD. Her eye looks no better and the mucus is worse. She has mucus in her throat and seems to be having difficulty breathing. I have been giving her 1/2 a cc of Tylan. Does this even have any affect on CRD? Is it a virus?

Last edited:
I am giving her the injections. This morning she was sneezing up mucus and blood. She is drinking but refuses to eat. I wonder if I should just cull her because she is suffering. I've never done that before. Also the hen I bought her with was exposed to CRD. They were eating and drinking out of the same feeder/waterer. No symptoms yet so I watch her too.

Back
Top Bottom