1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think it's a boy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coolcanoechic, Apr 21, 2012.

1. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

It is about 5 or 6 weeks old now. It sure looks like a boy to me. It has the biggest comb of all my chicks. So big, in fact, it reminds me of Jimmy Durante. It's a BCM.
    Any guesses?

[​IMG]

2. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Cute little guy [​IMG]

3. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    woah! that comb is huge! WOW!

4. Teepov

Teepov Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I wouldn't jump to any conclusions yet...
    I've seen a "rooster" suddenly decide he was a she after 5 months of my friends calling 'Bill'. She is now 'Billy Joe' :)

What kind of behavior is the little guy exhibiting?

5. coolcanoechic

He he...so cute. It is very outgoing, and always the first one in line for a treat. It is also the first one to brave sitting on my hand while overlooking the rest of the gang above the brooder. This one is also posturing a lot with another one with a big comb. Anyway, I love it's outgoing personality. Once the other's get used to seeing it being so close with me, I think they will follow suit......I hope. Chicks are so much fun!

6. coolcanoechic

By the way. Does this chick look like it has enough feathers to go out to the coop yet? I can heat the coop with a lamp. Do I have to keep them in the coop for some time before letting them out? I have younger ones in the same group that are not fully feathered yet, but I don't want to split up the group. Then they would have to re-establish their pecking order if I split them up for a short time. I would rather keep them all together if I can. They are getting big so fast......

7. Teepov

Teepov Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    Austin, TX
    There's no reason why you'd have to split them up. Wait until they're all ready to go outside

8. coolcanoechic

Thanks. They are getting big for the brooder, but not over crouded yet. I will wait for the younger ones to get big enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by