I think its cocci ?!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by swtangel321, Aug 21, 2008.

1. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I have about 15 baby chicks I got a few weeks ago !!! I made them an area in the coop about a week ago and put them outside, I just started to let them mingle with the others (chicks and hens) the weather was rainy up here in NH for a good week or so, when it became nice again I figured they could hang out with the others (first time they were on dirt, about 4-5 days ago), i have one other hen raising her chicks in there and she just kinda watches them all (dont think she knows who belongs to her anymore) Well, today I noticed they was some orange/red stuff in some of the poop, looked a little thick, Im not 100% sure it was blood, but dont know what else it would be !?!? Does anyone have any idea's ?? also if it is cocci what do i use to treat it ? and where do I get it ? Do I have to treat ALL my chickens or just the babies ?? The ones that have come in contact with the babies will be ok or need to be treated ? Thanks for any help, never had an issue like this !!!!

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    If you do have coccidiosis you will have to treat the whole flock. Just watch for a while. Sometimes my chickens that do not have cocci also have red in there poop . If you start to suddenly lose them you will have to get a tretment for them. We ocasionally use a preventative for chicks. I can not remeber what it is called , or what the medication we used the one time we had a outbreak of it in our flock was called. Contact a vet or poultry keeper and ask what sort of medication you have to use for them.

3. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    I have a silly question, how do you pronounce that word? is it Cock-sid-ee-o-sis?[​IMG] I don't want to go around saying the wrong thing and no one know what i mean.Lol
    swtangel321, are you talking about sulmet?

4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    If they were out foraging or introduced to a new food that could be it. Sometimes when I change foods or brands that happens but they always come around in a few days.

Some of my chicks also had runny dark poo when I kept them on chick starter for too long. As soon as I put them on grower it straightened itself out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by