I think I've been tricked!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Larkin, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Larkin

Larkin Chirping

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have 2 broodies right now. I gave them both a couple of eggs (2 and 3). Yesterday I picked up an egg that had fallen on the floor, thought it was not from the broodies, cracked it to find a tiny embryo:hit. Very disturbed that this poor guy must have fallen out and mistakenly thought of as a "fresh" one.
    Now, this morning I checked on the girls and they both had eggs under them. Just now when I checked on them, one nest was empty! Under the sitting hen, there were all the eggs. I had no idea they "move" them! I thought maybe I had an eggeater or some other mystery to solve! So...I gave the emptynester 2 more eggs right now, is this just going to continue? Do I have an egg hog and my poor other hen will have no luck keeping eggs in her nest? UGGH, what drama![​IMG]

2. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:They tuck them under their wings. Broodies love to steal other eggs, hence the reason most people will move them into solitary.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can mark your broody eggs with a pencil mark- like an "x" or something to avoid that happening again.

I reached under my broody every day to check for stolen eggs. I took her off anyway once a day so she would eat, and checked again that night when I closed everyone up.

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Songster

That's hilarious!!! Aren't hens funny sometimes??!! A couple of years ago I was outside working on the fence and there was a ton of racket coming from the hen house. When I opened the egg door there were 3 broody girls fighting over the days eggs. It was like a soccer match for a couple of minutes until I could get the eggs out of there. The next couple of weeks were interesting to say the least! Broodies can be so single-minded! LOL [​IMG]

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Well I just learned something new! They really tuck them under their wings to move them?
    I sooo want a broody!

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:They tuck them under their wings.

I wondered how they were lifting the eggs OUT and UP and OVER the next box divisions.

Thank you!

7. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Songster

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I have seen mine do it!!! They are tricky mammas when they want to be!

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Songster

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I did not know hens could pick up eggs either. Wow learned something new today. Wish mine would go broody. [​IMG]

9. Fuffy

Fuffy Songster

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    Quote:Last year I put my broody and her eggies up at the top of my field. I got her off twice a day for 10 mins on the timer, This time I have her just by my French doors where I can see her more. She gets up by herself twice a day, eats, drinks, poops, scratches around a bit and goes back to bed. Soooo lovely to see Nature telling her what to do!!!! [​IMG]

I LOVE my broody!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Larkin

Larkin Chirping

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    Quote:Last year I put my broody and her eggies up at the top of my field. I got her off twice a day for 10 mins on the timer, This time I have her just by my French doors where I can see her more. She gets up by herself twice a day, eats, drinks, poops, scratches around a bit and goes back to bed. Soooo lovely to see Nature telling her what to do!!!! [​IMG]

I LOVE my broody!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's amazing isn't it! I'm so fascinated by this whole journey!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: