I think my Bufd Orpington has lost her mind

brandy6375

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 14, 2018
Michigan
My Buff Orpington is a little over a yr old. She has always been a very social and gentle bird. UNTIL I build a second coop area in the barn. I brought in 4 chicks once feathered I put them in the adjoining coop, both flocks have one shared wood & chicken wire wall. They see each other but have everything separate. From day one (her name is Tommy) Tommy was not happy. Now a few months later she is like a caged lion, she will frantically pace back and forth along that wall and try to get the chicks. She chooses to pace over free ranging most days.If she has half a chance she violently attacks the chicks.and me if I step in to save the chick. Twice she has ran between my legs while I was going from one to the other side and once a chick crossed under and Tommy went into attack mode. Shes the only bird in 8 yrs to do this. Im afraid to mix the flocks at this point. The chicks are almost big enough to mix with the ladies any tips or help would be greatly appreciated. Flock A 3 birds 1 and 2 yrs old, Flock B 4 birds, each has plenty of room and roosts, flock A has an outdoor run and free range time. I also put toys mirrors and other things for enrichment and joy.

Your set up sounds alot like mine and it's so easy you don't really have to monitor them constantly just do checks, UNLESS you have one being a weirdo like Tommy. Does she go broody easy? Just wondering cause I have one that does, one that never does. Anyhoo, I feel like this isn't the best advice I've ever given but when I had a mean one (her name was Crazy and eventually I gave her away,) I used a bamboo pole and when she'd start going after the chicks I'd give her a "PECK," with the pole. It worked pretty well and she eventually left then alone and got back to ranging around our property while they got bigger but the negative side effect was her relationship with me changed. She was either afraid of me and ran from me or would be ready with chest puffed out to let me have it..... :(

Your set up sounds alot like mine and it's so easy you don't really have to monitor them constantly just do checks, UNLESS you have one being a weirdo like Tommy. Does she go broody easy? Just wondering cause I have one that does, one that never does. Anyhoo, I feel like this isn't the best advice I've ever given but when I had a mean one (her name was Crazy and eventually I gave her away,) I used a bamboo pole and when she'd start going after the chicks I'd give her a "PECK," with the pole. It worked pretty well and she eventually left then alone and got back to ranging around our property while they got bigger but the negative side effect was her relationship with me changed. She was either afraid of me and ran from me or would be ready with chest puffed out to let me have it..... :(
Tommy has never gone broody! I have a bad feeling shes not going to be part of our farm for much longer.

Back
Top Bottom