i think my chick is sick

jillber1234

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 28, 2014
today my chick started off looking a bit tired and wouldnt walk now he falls asleep within the first second of setting him back down in the brooder hes about 4 days old and ive never had anything like this happen before
i think hes dying )':

please reply soon i dont know if hes gonna make it

Last edited:
He may have experienced a rougher hatch that wore him out. Does he eat and drink? If not you have to show him where and how. A hen would tap at the feed dish, so chicks learn that is where you eat. With water people like to dip the baby's beak in the water a bit, so it knows it can drink it. Chicks usually spend a few days falling asleep on their feet and sometimes landing in very strange positions and looking like they died. If you make a noise or touch them they usually get up. But it is hard work being a newborn chick and exhausting. Do you have a heat lamp over the brooder and a part without the heat at the other end. That way chicks can wander over to where they are most comfortable.

If you feel he is ill please post in detail at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. How are the other chicks behaving?

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree with drumstick diva and she has given you some great things to look out for with your chicks. The first week after hatch is the most critical for chicks to get them eating and drinking. At 4 days the chicks yolk reserves it absorbed prior to hatch will have run out by now. They can usually survive on them for 3 days after hatch. If it's not been eating and drinking this could be causing the lethargy.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chick I hope it's back to full health soon for you.

Enjoy BYC :frow

unfortunately he died last night around 8:45
sad.png

I'm so sorry to read about your chick :hugs Sometimes it's just one of those things that happen. It was more than likely a weak chick right from hatch and once it's yolk had ran out it went down hill. I have certainly had this happen in the past, some are just not destined to make it and it's natures way.
Once again I am very sorry about your chick.

Back
Top Bottom