I think my chicken has SOUR CROP!

Chick3nLover

Songster
Mar 15, 2022
A while ago I noticed my chicken spitting up a white liquid. I thought nothing of it and figured that she had drank to much water. Well it kept happening and tonight I felt her crop and it felt like a giant water balloon. I did some research and it is leading to SOUR CROP or IMPACTED CROP but I am pretty sure it’s sour crop. I tired to smell her beak but I couldn’t since she had already roosted.

Tonight I dosed her with sovereign silver and tomorrow I will reassess. I hear that apple cider vinegar is recommended but I don’t know what to do. Also they say to Separate her and not give food or water for 24 hours. Please help me out. When I picked her up tonight for the sovereign silver she seemed to spit up more liquid and I am worried about her. Also her crop seems visibly large.

Whatever info or remedies you have I will try, I just don’t wanna lose her.😔

Tomorrow morning wake up early, go out to the coop and check her crop before she has access to food and water. Update us then and let us know if it has emptied. Also try again to smell in her beak.

Hi everyone, I felt her crop this morning before she ate and it was completely empty… I smelled her beak and smelled nothing, unless do I have to open her beak? Anyways I let her eat normal because it was empty but can sour crop do this? Why does she spit up a liquid?

Hi everyone, I felt her crop this morning before she ate and it was completely empty… I smelled her beak and smelled nothing, unless do I have to open her beak? Anyways I let her eat normal because it was empty but can sour crop do this? Why does she spit up a liquid?
Yes, open her beak and smell it. I have noticed that particularly when it is hot out sometimes they will try to drink too much water at once, and end up spitting some up. If you also happened to pick her up when she spit you could have accidentally put pressure on her crop.

A while ago I noticed my chicken spitting up a white liquid. I thought nothing of it and figured that she had drank to much water. Well it kept happening and tonight I felt her crop and it felt like a giant water balloon. I did some research and it is leading to SOUR CROP or IMPACTED CROP but I am pretty sure it’s sour crop. I tired to smell her beak but I couldn’t since she had already roosted.

Tonight I dosed her with sovereign silver and tomorrow I will reassess. I hear that apple cider vinegar is recommended but I don’t know what to do. Also they say to Separate her and not give food or water for 24 hours. Please help me out. When I picked her up tonight for the sovereign silver she seemed to spit up more liquid and I am worried about her. Also her crop seems visibly large.

Whatever info or remedies you have I will try, I just don’t wanna lose her.😔
Hi there!

This article is very helpful for crop issues. It goes over a wide variety along with diagnoses, treatment, and prevention. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I give miconazole suppositories. I cut them into 1/4 inch pieces and pop directly into the beak. 2X a day for 7 days.
You can find miconazole at most stores in the feminine hygiene section, as it’s used to treat yeast infections (which, in chickens, is what sour crop is).

To diagnose, massage her crop. If it’s very hard, it’s impacted, so treatment is different. If it’s squishy and gurgling, and when you open her beak smells gross and sour, it’s sour crop.

Back
Top Bottom