I think my chickens are confused...

Are the keels the longest thinnest part of the leg? I never knew they leaned back like that. I have a 2x4 short side up.

Hmm... I wonder if maybe I added a bit of shelving the width of their keels to the tops of my roosts they'd abandon sleeping in the nestboxes.......They've always slept on their roosts, but it's an idea!

We are making progress! I just went out to move them over again without a light this time. I came in to find only TWO chickens in the nestboxes, a bunch on the roosts, and some in the windows. I stumbled around getting the two chickens onto the roosts, and left without any of them hopping off while I left the coop.

Hopefully tomorrow night I don't have to do this at all!

I have my roosts higher than my nest boxes. I used 2 x 4's with the 4 inch side up. Some of my girls started sleeping in the next boxes. I started puting a milk crate in the boxes at night so they couldn't sleep in them and taking them out in the mornings. After a couple of weeks they stopped sleeping in the nest boxes and started sleeping on their roost. I had one that was a little more persistant and I would put her out. After doing it a few times she finally got the message too.

Back
Top Bottom