1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i think my chickens have diarrhea or something?(have picture)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fxnick, Aug 20, 2011.

1. fxnick

fxnick New Egg

Aug 17, 2011
    Their leghorns we got from tractor supply as chicks, one of them got this around 6 months old , then they all did eventually.
    their over a year old now and it dosent seem to hurt them,except all the feathers it made fall off,it makes them smell really bad, and were not sure if we should eat the eggs
    Anybody know what i should do?

[​IMG]

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Have you checked them for lice/mites? [​IMG]

3. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    With all due respect, the first thing I would do is get them out of the junkyard. Jeez!

4. fxnick

fxnick New Egg

Aug 17, 2011
    they do have mites/lice of some kind, i just got some pemerthin to spray them
    their usually in the coop/pen, but we do let them out sometimes:)

5. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    I agree...looks like they are in an area where they can peck at and eat things not made for consumption!

6. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I would guess that might be the cause. Hopefully with treatment that will clear up.

7. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    That might not fix it because i have a white rock who has a rather nice run no lice/mites and has nothing but grass, scratch grain, and her layer cruble and she still has messey but and no feathers on her bum. i have been told that it is nothing to worry about. if you are worried about show you can give them a bath and blow dry some tend to appreciate it....

8. kidcody

When treating mites/lice it can become very difficult. You will need to treat each chicken and treat there living space (coop) you may have to do treatment many times. It's not a one time treatment due to eggs hatching. Good luck and the fact that you did reach out for help shows you really care for your chickens [​IMG] We are always happy to try to answer questions [​IMG]

9. fxnick

fxnick New Egg

Aug 17, 2011
    so mites can cause their butts to leak poop like that?

10. kidcody

It's hard to see by the photo, we can only guess what is going on. I do believe mites/lice probably played a role in what is going on with your chicken. Possibly her skin began to be so irritated by the mites/lice (they bite and make the chicken scratch trying to relieve the itch) which in turn made her skin red and irritated and once the skin turns red the other chickens may have pecked also at her causing more damage to the vent area. When that area becomes irritated and swollen and in turn also cause lack of control of the vent area which may be the reason why she has "leak poop" This is only a guess. A closer photo of your chicken maybe helpful? Another possibility is worms. My recommendation would be to use Ivermectrin pour on that way you can treat both at the same time. Another possibility is a skin fungal infection, yeast infection? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by