I think my drake thinks im a rival drake?

Jlw0903

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
First off. Not only am I NOT a duck but i am not sexually interested in ducks, not interested in females, nor a male.

With that said.
My drake absolutely HATES me.as in he goes out of his way to attack me. I get the crap bitten out of me on a regular basis. I mean he will run across the yard to bite me if i am outside and they are ranging and no where near them (i own about 6 acres). I have almost never seen him eat or sleep because if i am around he is so intent on killing me that he wont do anything else. Although he will charge my boyfriend and father (the other most common humans in his life) he doesn't target them like he does me.

Anyways ive noticed that when i check my girls feet (flip them upside down) when i let them go he will run after them and try to mate them. Also anything i touch is automatically contaminated and must be attacked. According to him im not allowed to give anyone but him treats because he attacks me if i share treats with the girls.

Its slightly funny but also i would like to not cause him so much distress and be able to spend time with my babies without getting bit to $h*+.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions on how to repair the relationship? (Btw the whole dominace thing? Where you pin them down? Did not wprk, just turned him into a bigger jack@$$)

I mean just look at the malice in his eyes!!!!

Attachments

• 20210605_125554.jpg
    20210605_125554.jpg
    711.3 KB · Views: 29
You need some negative reinforcement when you get bit. Locking the duck in a cage for 30 minutes has worked well for me. If you let him go after 30 mins and he bites you again, right back ini usually pick him up and set him down, maybe something more harsh is needed though. You make a good point though maybe something more drastic is needed... the term you want to use is Negative PUNISHMENT punisent decreases behavior. reinforcement INCREASES behavior. I am also a behavior analyst, tho my specialty is withASD, not duck! Haha and quite frankly i prefer getting bit by a 5year old child than my drake since i know how to manage the kid (and bites hurt less than the snake bites my drake.does!). Sorry for the nerd out moment there.

do NOT scare him. ducks attack because they are scared, he needs to trust you. spend lots of time with him, hold/cuddle him, take him on walks with you. my drakes are the sweetest babies ever because they trust me, i have never even been bit.

First off. Not only am I NOT a duck but i am not sexually interested in ducks, not interested in females, nor a male.

With that said.
My drake absolutely HATES me.as in he goes out of his way to attack me. I get the crap bitten out of me on a regular basis. I mean he will run across the yard to bite me if i am outside and they are ranging and no where near them (i own about 6 acres). I have almost never seen him eat or sleep because if i am around he is so intent on killing me that he wont do anything else. Although he will charge my boyfriend and father (the other most common humans in his life) he doesn't target them like he does me.

Anyways ive noticed that when i check my girls feet (flip them upside down) when i let them go he will run after them and try to mate them. Also anything i touch is automatically contaminated and must be attacked. According to him im not allowed to give anyone but him treats because he attacks me if i share treats with the girls.

Its slightly funny but also i would like to not cause him so much distress and be able to spend time with my babies without getting bit to $h*+.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions on how to repair the relationship? (Btw the whole dominace thing? Where you pin them down? Did not wprk, just turned him into a bigger jack@$$)

I mean just look at the malice in his eyes!!!!
Not sure if this will work but I recently introduced a new roo to the flock on a temporary basis as we figure out what we want to do for another coop. We have more than plenty females but our barnyard mix roo wanted to fight. I caught him and put him in a large cat carrier with food and water for the night and by the next morning, he wasn't being a jerk anymore. Not sure if this helps.

do NOT scare him. ducks attack because they are scared, he needs to trust you. spend lots of time with him, hold/cuddle him, take him on walks with you. my drakes are the sweetest babies ever because they trust me, i have never even been bit.

I see where your coming from since i see him think he can try and attack the dog through the fence (we have chicken wire at duck hight to prevent this because my dog likely wouldn't play nice).
However if i tried to snuggle him id probably loose an eye. Some of my girls tolerate being held but he never has. He is much too proud to allow himself to be picked up and loved haha.

My drake being raised by me was mama rejected when hatched, And when he gets out of hand wanting to bite, I do just what was rec here on BYC except one rec was eating him, that I would never do. When he gets carried away and starts biting He gets laid down on his belly hand behind his neck to keep him from turning around and biting and either knee on his back or hand on the lower back so he can't get up, Believe me I am not placing much force on him just holding him still so he cannot bite me. Have you ever watched a drake put another drake into submission? They will chase them down and stand over them not allowing them to move until they say so. This is what we are doing. once my drake relaxes and stops wanting to get up, I let him up, if he is bull-headed and comes at me again he gets laid down again. Usually 2X is the charm. I love my drake and him and I are best buddies, He hatched here and just turned 10yr old June 2nd. Hormones can sure try a relationship though.

We rescued two drakes 4 weeks ago, estimated to be about 7 months old. The Peking abruptly started attacking my feet 2 weeks ago and I agree, it hurts! I appreciate all the comments here, I do think he needs to be put into submission although I hate kicking him. I tried pushing him away and saying ”NO” or making another noise, now my other drake which is a Ruen is starting to do it too. I have raised two sets of 6 ducks each, always a mix of 2 males and 4 females so I have never had this problem. My 3 year old female (Last remaining female) lives down at the pond and does not want to be cooped up, so the males don’t have regular access to her. I am considering taking them to the pond to see if the other male that lives at the pond will teach them submission, however I don’t think they would make it in the “wild” so hopefully the suggestions here will help. I am most grateful for this forum.

You don't want to kick any animal but you do want to show them that you are the dominant person in their lives not the other way around. Laying them down and putting pressure over top of them is very similar to what another drake would do you not hurting them you just keeping them from biting you and they don't get up until they settle and stop fighting. It won't happen once but being consistent in your training is what makes it work. They actually probably look at you as one of their prized possessions. If your female. My Muscovy drake looks at my husband as a rival he will come up and start biting him to me it's like he is trying to run him off. Now he will come up and start biting me but I put him in his place. DH doesn't and this has been going on 10 yrs between them 2. Consistency is the main thing don't let them get away with biting one time and then ignore it the next time.
This helped me alot with both my gander and my drake.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-training.561849/

Bless you for rescuing them.

Back
Top Bottom